Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Question

I'm flying into Texas tomorrow to pick up a 99 LS1 car. The car has GTP Stage II heads, MTI X1 cam, full-length headers, borla, and puts down 430rwhp. It was tuned by MTI. The guy told me he still has the stock fuel system though. I'm fairly certain the general consensus here is that thing should be using 42lb injectors. Am I missing something here? Is it even possible to be putting down that kind of power on the stock injectors?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably goes static up top, but if it was tuned by MTI, I don't think they'd let it get out of their shop with it going uncontrollably lean. I have read of a few factory fuel systems that were working up to that point though. It's a crap shoot to say exactly which will be out of steam first; the pump or the injectors. The pump could get weak and cause the injectors to max out trying to keep up. If it's static up top, perhaps it's a predictable drop and the tuner did some cheating up top in PE to keep the AFR in line; who knows. There isn't much reason NOT to have a wideband with a car like that, and it can give you the piece of mind you are looking for. Good luck with the new car; I'd be excited.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man! I actually meant Friday on picking it up.. very excited indeed! Thanks for the info about the programming. Kinda puts my mind at rest...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

He sent me the dyno sheet today. It drops off pretty quick at 6200. With that X1 cam I'd have thought it'd go a couple hundred more but not sure. Wonder if this is the stock injectors maxing out or if this a natural drop off for the mods done...

Dyno