Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Running 5/8 line to engine bay...return question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running 5/8 line to engine bay...return question

I'm going to run a 10AN line to the engine bay with an in-tank and in-line walbro 255. In-tank will feed out the sender to where the T to the return usually is. I'm also putting a 10AN line (and a 12AN bung for future) from the bottom of the tank to an in-line Walbro 255 as well to provide more fuel when spraying (wet kit). The stock feed line from the tank will merge with the line after the in-line fuel pump roughly where the stock T in the feed line is and will probably feed into a 5/8" hard line to the engine bay to feed my aftermarket fuel rails and fuel solenoid.

Question is about the return. What size return should I run for this? Will the stock return line port at the tank be enough to return this fuel? I believe it is 5/16" line. If I do this, I can use the stock fuel pressure regulator.

If that's not enough, I could use the 3/8" port on the tank normally used for the EVAP system. However, if I do this, I would need an aftermarket regulator.

I guess the basic question is whether or not a 5/16" line would work as a return (it would be a 3/8" line all the way to the tank where it would be converted to 6AN and then to the 5/16" port on the tank). How would too small of a return line impact anything?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would not need a -10 supply. This would be overkill. I have a customer with 1200hp on a -8.

I would recommend a -6 return with a big pump setup.

Once you go to all the effort of replacing lines, why not add a regulator up front & do it right. Poor pressure control is the biggest hindrance in the LS1 fuel system.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's enough to convince me. I'll probably just run a 1/2" line up front, aftermarket regulator, and 6AN/3/8 back. Thanks.