Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump and/or fuel injectors for a small dry shot???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump and/or fuel injectors for a small dry shot???

I am making a post here because I really need to know if my fuel system can handle a small (75-100) dry shot. Right now my car is running extremely lean when I spray. I had a mail order "nitrous tune" done for my PCM. The tuner said he riched up my tables. I am not sure which tables exactly.

I went to a dyno this week to test out the HSW single nozzle dry kit. So my first dyno pull was N/A and it showed a 13.5:1-14:1 AFR throughout the entire "open loop" 3k - 6k RPM range. It was the normal 14.7 AFR during idleand at low RPMs. I then made a 75 shot nitrous pull and as soon as the nitrous kicked in it went to 16:1 AFR throughout the entire range. And the bad news is the AFR sensor at the dyno only went to 16:1 max Thank God the motor does not appear to be damaged and I heard no detonation.

I am going to get a dyno tune in the next week or so and am wondering if I need to go ahead and buy bigger injectors and a fuel pump before the dyno tune. I was hoping that I could get away with my stock 28.8 injectors and stock pump, but I have heard so many different opinions that at this point I am not sure what to do. I really don't want to waste the $$$ on upgrading my fuel system if I don't need to. I am not planning on any other mods. My car is basically stock (please see signature). I believe it is making about 280 HP at the wheels. Any ideas? I can put up the actual dyno #s if that helps. THANKS
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

98 injectors should be able to handle that.. You have a bad tune, or a mechanical problems..
Old 03-20-2007, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Is there a way to test my fuel pump and injectors without a dyno and tuning software? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to pay for two dyno tunes. One to find out I do have a mechanical problem and another to tune once that issue is corrected. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
Is there a way to test my fuel pump and injectors without a dyno and tuning software? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to pay for two dyno tunes. One to find out I do have a mechanical problem and another to tune once that issue is corrected. Thanks.

Get you a fuel pressure gauge and make sure you have good fuel pressure.. Stock fuel system will be around 58-60 PSI... I would recomned and electric one that you can mount in the car so you can see it while driving, but a mechanical one that sits on the fuel rail is cheap and will do the job as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Launching!

i agree i sprayed a 125 dry shot with no problems.