Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Startup Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Startup Problems

Also have this in the LT1 section to get max exposure. Need a possible solution as it's a safety issue.

Having a VERY intermittent issue with my girlfriends '94 T/A. A few weeks ago she complained that after letting the cars it for about an hour, the car would start but then stumble and miss terribly. She pulle dthe car out of its parking spot, put it in drive, and the issue went away. Today, after letting the car sit for about 10 minutes she came out to start the car and it was stumbling terribly again at which point she called me. I got there, started the car and it was stumbling bad. It didn't wnat to rev. I shut it down and tried a few more times, noticing that I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime. However, the pump is running as the car will sit and idle roughly for extended periods of time, although occasionally it would stall out. Eventually, no prime, no fire. I let it sit for ~30 minutes or so and tried again at which point the car fired right up and drve home. I've checked the fuel pressure and its spot on. I can't duplicate the problem as of now. Anyone had any issues like this? I could deal with the car but it's my girlfriends and she has a fairly nasty commute in heavy traffic - and I don't wnat the car dying on her in the #3 lane at 5PM. Problem so far seems to occur only upon initial startup. Was thinking possibly the relay isn't sitching on all the way? Fuel pump dying - though I would think I'd have less fuel pressure and the problem would be easily duplicated. Any insight would be appreciated.