Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Do fuel guages ever go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do fuel guages ever go bad?

I'm up to almost 100 miles on a tank of gas and the needle has BARELY moved. W/ hwy miles, I wouldnt think too much of it... but this is city driving im doing. Could the guage be going bad? I just got a set of headers put on, i doubt the 2 are related, but thats the only change iv made to the car.

Anyone else's fuel guage just stop working?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine used to do that. But then one day it changed and started to work more accurately.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Weird.... I dunno what mines doing. I hope it comes back to life.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Teching In

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I'm at 140 miles and STILL on Full. I KNOW I don't get 600 miles a tank.

My boyfriend says he thinks there could be some gunk in the thing that reads it (sorry, I don't know much technical jargon) or that a sensor is bad or something like that? Not sure, but I'd REALLLY like it fixed. Please let me know if you find out anything.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Hmm. Here's something interesting I found on google. Maybe I'll try this?............

If you’re having problems with an inaccurate fuel gauge, we’ve got a possible solution that could save you hundreds of dollars.

Every vehicle contains a sending unit located in the fuel tank. The sending unit is what measures the level of fuel. It sends this information to the fuel gauge on the dashboard using an electric current.

In virtually all cars sold in the US between 1988-2004, the sending unit is made of silver. Herein lies the problem. The sulfur in gasoline causes silver to tarnish. Tarnish can form on the sending unit and cause incorrect fuel gauge levels.

While the cost to replace a sending unit may run in excess of $300, Valvoline has a low-cost solution that just might solve the problem.

Valvoline’s SynPower Complete Fuel System Cleaner contains special additives that remove tarnish and restore fuel gauge accuracy. In fact, it cleans and protects the entire fuel system. Simply pour it in the gas tank the next time you fill-up. Repeat the treatment with each oil change for a thorough fuel system cleaning.

Don’t waste hundreds of dollars when a $10 bottle of SynPower Fuel System Cleaner could do the trick. With the price of gasoline these days, you’ll need the extra money just to fill up your tank