Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Custom Tank Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom Tank Question

I am getting ready to build a custom tank for my 02 Silverado and I am a little confused. The only place I can put it is where the spare was. I measured and came up with this shape and basic design.

I am a little worried since it is so wide, do I need baffles or not? I don't know much about designing tanks so this is a learing experience! Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have any opinions?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a tank builder but I would do a couple of things if I had to build it. One I'd make it out of 304ss so it would never rust and be strong in an accident (can you just buy a fuel cell that will fit for best safety?) Two, I'd figure out if the pump was going intank or out of the tank. In tank pump, I'd build a spiral baffle around the pump(s) and place the pump(s) in the rear of the tank so the fuel will flow to them on acceleration, plus a couple of anti slosh baffles side to side and front to back.

Out of tank pumps, I'd delete the spiral baffles, keep the slosh baffles and figure out a pickup/AN tap at the rear of the tank...better yet a small sump....

Be careful with gas tanks....easy way to get hurt...you could also have Rick's Hotrod shop build you a tank to your specs.