Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Pump

Ok well Iam going to try to be as specific as I can be. I have a 95 firebird formula m6 and I think I have a fuel issue. My car is pretty much stock it has a cai and thats it. When ever I drive my car around town for a day or two I look at the tailpipes and they are just covered in soot. When I road race my car it hesitates badly when I come out a turn at like 2-2500 and nail the gas. Once around 3 to 4,500 grand it pulls good but when it goes any higher then that it falls on its face and hesitates then kinda clears up. I have replaced my fuel filter not to long ago, but the problem is still there. If I drive around town for awhile on a hot day and go to take off from a stop it gets really bad. I can be at like half throttle and it wont do anything then all of a sudden it pulls hard around 2500. Sometimes when I fill up the fuel tank I undo the gas cap and its under some serious pressure. Any advice would be great.
Thanks Brandon
Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like a dirty maf sensor or a bad 02 sensor, cause if ur tail pipes r black then that means ur running rich, therefor ur pump is supplying enough fuel! Do u have a ses light on?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Well when I had long tube headers on my car I spliced the 02 wires and when I put the manifolds back on I replaced the 02 sensors. And as far as the maf goes I have maf cleaner and used it on it and the problem still exists. Is there a way I can test those? My car is a 95 but has a obd 2 plug but in the engine bay it says obd1? When I drive my car on the highway for awhile like 20 mins or so the ses light comes on for a min or two then goes away. It wont come on durning city driving only highway driving.