Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Put in a 3.43 geared rearend, but it did not have abs/traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put in a 3.43 geared rearend, but it did not have abs/traction control

Ok I helped a member install a new rear end from a formula m6 gu6 car that was being totalled. However his camaro has traction control and abs. The donar car only has abs. He of course got the brake, traction control and abs lights right away and now has a check engine light.
What should he be expecting? The traction control is disconnected anyway but he is worried about the check engine light and the fact that the car is not running like it used too before the ses light.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get it scanned at autozone if its obd2 and find out what the code is....
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Already told him that but I am just checking to make sure that other then looking for a ebcm that has everything but the traction control to remove those lights. However just incase there is something else I should be ready to help him with I wanted to ask.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The check engine light would not be caused my the ABS and TRAC lights. Something else is wrong. Also. I don't know that you will just be able to swap a EBCM to correct the trac lights since 4 channel has 4 brake lines that run from it and 3 channel has 3. So unless you plan to replumb the brakes on the car.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Autozones **** don't scan for brake problems.
No ARS? How was it disabled?

It's looking at a difference in wheel speed, thinking the rear tires are slipping ,activating ARS and retarding timing causing the engine to run like **** and throw codes.
Sounds like a hack job Mr I Can't Remove A Lugnut.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

So the Check engine light was un-related.

The Brake lines in the rear were swapped off, so the lines are all the same. The only thing this rear end is missing is the Axel wheels and mag sensors for which I though was only for trac control.

my question is why would ABS read wrong, considering the new axel came with ABS?
I always had my Trac off anyway, I mainly wanna know whats the difference between 98 and 00 ABS systems.

again the entire rear brake system is the same, they were swapped from the old axel on to the new one, so the brakes are the exact same as before.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuck
So the Check engine light was un-related.

The Brake lines in the rear were swapped off, so the lines are all the same. The only thing this rear end is missing is the Axel wheels and mag sensors for which I though was only for trac control.

my question is why would ABS read wrong, considering the new axel came with ABS?
I always had my Trac off anyway, I mainly wanna know whats the difference between 98 and 00 ABS systems.

again the entire rear brake system is the same, they were swapped from the old axel on to the new one, so the brakes are the exact same as before.
The only differences in rears is 3 or 4 channel ABS

If your car was a 4 channel car and you put a 3 channel rear into the car the ABS will not work. 4 channel has 2 speed sensors on the rear at the axles and 3 channel has one sensor on the carrier. 3 and 4 channel cars have differnt ABS moduals where a 3 channel car has 1 brake line that goes to the rear diff and 4 channel has 2 brake lines. even if you swaped the harness over with the rear the ABS will not work and set a light.