Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help please

this past week my rear end almost took a **** after being rebuilt about 3 yrs ago, and not being driven hard at all. I was cruising at about 20 and the rear made a clunk noise and locked! I got rolling again and limped to the shop.

He opened the housing and the cross pin that holds a larger pin in place had came unscrewed. it didn't break, it just came undone. The larger pin was bent and a little mangled at the tip, and one of the teeth from my spider gears inside the carrier was chipped off. The original pin was from auburn, he replaced it with a gm pin of the same size and retorqued the cross pin with lock-tite. I normally ran royal Purple with gm additive, he installed amsoil with the gm additive. Since then don't know if its mental or actually happening but it sounds like a slight whine from the rear now.

Do i need to eventually buy a new carrier? Will the rear hold up? Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just save your cash and buy a 12 bolt or a 9" dude.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had like problem with SLP'S AUBURN y2k sspin worked loose and ellonged the housing , replaced with the torson possie, now running detroit locker I do have a torson possie which I bought as a extra supposed to be perfict, I have never ran it looks good
it is the torson ?? possie carrier no gears will fit 98-02 f body no know if fit anything else will ship within the lower states 125.00 or 100.00 local pickup also set oe 4 channel axels - no rings ship 123.00 100. pickup
Johnny

If you like PM me