Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installing a different Differential but not swapping gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installing a different Differential but not swapping gears?

I have a good question.

Since my Tru Trac is broken,.... and this is the 2nd one. I have had some thoughts on going Full Spool OR I have my original Tru trac that started working again before being swapped out for this one.

Persay I put the car up, I slide the axles back a little to allow it to be disengaged from the unit. Take off the caps and slide the unit, w/ gears attatched.

If I were to take the old diff off and put a new one on, torqued to spec, etc etc and just pop it back in there. Do I have to check for tolerences or check tooth pattern since it is the same gear, just changing the differential.

The one thing I never did was change out gears and I would like those who have done the same, their thoughts, especially since the gear set isnt changing.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

backlash will most likely change...due to tolerances in in the widths of the units. Should measure backlash prior to disassembly and reset the BL to the same number upon reassembly. Pattern shouldn't change since pinion depth isn't changing.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fireball
backlash will most likely change...due to tolerances in in the widths of the units. Should measure backlash prior to disassembly and reset the BL to the same number upon reassembly. Pattern shouldn't change since pinion depth isn't changing.
Make sense to me JL is really going to make me get 4.30's so that may change as well lol.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Make sense to me JL is really going to make me get 4.30's so that may change as well lol.
be a man and let your sack hang go 4.56
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
be a man and let your sack hang go 4.56
Is that what your putting in.

Chef, I should fwd you the PM's JL gave me, they are funny. Kinda like a dad telling his kid what to do.