Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with ujoints!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ujoints!!!!

I am trying to get my ujoints changed...trying to get them out...any tips on how you guys get them out...they are a real PITA...i have never had a problem with getting them out before...i usually use a big clamp and press them out...but thats not working...is there something i'm missing..is there something holding them in? Let me know.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

The factory ones have to be heated up to let the poly melt out.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Default poly melt

you can't drill the little poly plugs out?....and if heated can it be done with a hand held map torch? Or something hotter? and just heat where the plugs are or the caps? Lmk

thnx
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i used a propane torch but took a while to get the hang of it. here is what i came up with: face the little plastic nipple sticking out facing down before you start to heat them as gravity will let the melted plastic run out. then dont heat the tiny bit of plastic you can see, instead heat the metal of the yoke about a half an inch from the plastic and that will allow it to run out. you will have to hold the heat there for several minutes to get all the plastic out, it will stop oozing when its done. the grease inside the u joint will prolly pop and sizzle too so dont be alarmed. there are two spots to burn out per ear of u joint so that makes eight total per u joint. then you can press it out or if using a hammer better shoot for a 3+ pounder and knock the living **** out of it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

DO NOT stand in line of sight while heating AS the grease may boil and build up pressure I have seen the caps blow completely threw a sheet metel wall
I will say the heat is not normaly a problem
just be carefull DO NOT stand over the caps
Johnny