Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bad Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Axle?

I have a hissing noise, its like hiss hiss hiss hiss when im driving on and off the brakes, i first thought that my caliper was hung up, so my bf took the caliper off and greased the two bolts, i also changed the breaks thinking it would be the squeelers but i still have the noise.
its coming from the left rear, so now im thinking it might be an axle.
I know its hard to explain a noise, but any suggestions on how to tell whether or not I'm on the right track with the thought of a bad axle would be great, and if you think its something else i need to check out anything would help. thanks guys
Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

i also have a like wind noise sometimes and a click click when at low speeds anyone help us?
thx
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem and still have it actually. My mechanic took a look at it and it turns out that my axles are slightly bent, and my axle bearings went bad. Got the axle bearings replaced and they got messed up again about two months later. He said it happens when you drive the car hard and said that I should always keep TCS off unless im driving in rainy weather. Of course he could be full of **** and have no idea but thats what my mechanic said.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

If your axles are bent,it will keep eating your bearings,,,im having the same problem,but i had to learn the hard way
Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the imput guys, i really think its an axle, the noise is getting worse the more i drive it, the funny thing is that i dont drive it "hard". The only time i get on it is when i have to pass someone going so slow its making me crazy, and that only happens once in awhile.

my dad is going to take a look at it *master tech* and tell me what he finds, ill post it up so maybe it will help some of you guys out too.

i will say if my axle is bent im gonna be pissed, because my dad will want to replace both axles and bearings, $$$$$
Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1BlackBeauty98
thanks for the imput guys, i really think its an axle, the noise is getting worse the more i drive it, the funny thing is that i dont drive it "hard". The only time i get on it is when i have to pass someone going so slow its making me crazy, and that only happens once in awhile.

my dad is going to take a look at it *master tech* and tell me what he finds, ill post it up so maybe it will help some of you guys out too.

i will say if my axle is bent im gonna be pissed, because my dad will want to replace both axles and bearings, $$$$$
sounds like its time for a new rear. 12 bolt , 9" or S60. Just a reason to get one.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

thats what I hope to do, no sense in putting fancy axles in a crappy 10 bolt. might as well use all that money to get a 9inch. Hopefully my parents will go along with it though.