Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

new gear question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new gear question

just installed a new set of 3.73 (10 bolt) motive orange box gears and put about 500 miles on them. ive never heard rear gear whine so im not sure what im looking for. hopefully someone can help.

I just started realy hearing what to me sounds like a whine more prominent at highway speeds but can now hear it around town. the sound oscillates w/ the movment of the suspension at highways speeds and around town making a funny whine in sharp turns. i got a really good pattern when setting it up (w/ a new bearing kit) and had .007 back lash.

im going to pull the cover and check out the pattern and backlash again. but wasnt sure if i should be looking at other things. the torsen i put in was used out of another axle. it looked ok but the prev owner was pulling hole shots w/ a camed and sprayed motor so who knows. it had around 28k on it to my knolage. i have another torsen unit out of my other axle i could try but wasnt sure if thats what my prob could be. like i said i dont know what im realy hearing and i know its hard to describe other than actualy hearing it but hopfully someone can point me in the right direction because its anoying lol.

corey
Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

i forgot to mention i set the preload on the pinion w/ the carrier installed to about 20in lbs. should i go more?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omec
i forgot to mention i set the preload on the pinion w/ the carrier installed to about 20in lbs. should i go more?
Turning preload with new brearing should have been more than that with no carrier installed. probably arond 30-35 in lbs.

Also you say the noise changes with suspension movement and arond corners. seems a little odd but I could see the around corners to be from an axle bearing or carrier bearing.

But I loose pinion can makes odd noises also. The thing with new bearings is that you can't always seat them completely so they need to be tighter than when reusing old bearings
Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Turning preload with new brearing should have been more than that with no carrier installed. probably arond 30-35 in lbs.

Also you say the noise changes with suspension movement and arond corners. seems a little odd but I could see the around corners to be from an axle bearing or carrier bearing.

But I loose pinion can makes odd noises also. The thing with new bearings is that you can't always seat them completely so they need to be tighter than when reusing old bearings

thanks for the reply man. im going to tighten up the pinion tonight. what do you think i should shoot for w/ the carrier installed? i hope i didnt screw the bearings up.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

got everything apart tonight. still have about .008 backlash. couldnt check the pattern because i couldnt find friggin paint anywhere. the pinion preload is at about 9-10 in lbs. thats w/o the axles and w/ carrier still installed. should i try tightening the pinion (and to what) or replace the bearings and crush collar and shoot for the 35 - 40 in lbs? thanks for any help!

corey
Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say right now that you could tighten it up and shoot for around 25-30 in lbs with no carrier. I am not really sure how much to add since your including turning the carrier.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I would say right now that you could tighten it up and shoot for around 25-30 in lbs with no carrier. I am not really sure how much to add since your including turning the carrier.
thanks again dschmittie. when i was going into i was going to change the pinion bearings if there was no preload left. so i think i got it in time. im going to be putting in another diff from my stock axle because i dont like how muuch slop is in the one thats in there now. so ill be able to get that 25-30 in lbs. thanks again for the help!