Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

carrier bearings toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carrier bearings toast

I just had a thred going for a gear whine after a gear swap. pulled the diff tonight and inspected the carrier bearings. the races were some what pitted and the cones were scratched. they dont look right and were new w/ under 500 miles. it looks like there is too much pre load on them from the shims. i had a bitch of a time getting the carrier out of the housing. had to use a slide hammer. when my self and a guy from work were putting it together (he was showing me the ropes at setting up a rear end) we used the stock shims. the pattern is still mint and was when we put it togther.

my question is: is there a set number total for shim thickness? meaning by adding both shims together am i supose to come out w/ a specific number?

im woundering if i have 1 or 2 thous tomuch shim and its ripping the bearing apart. the bearings are seated all the way and dont look oil starved (blue or purple). any ideas?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No set number on the shims, it will vary from unit to unit. Blue bearings are most likely oil starvation. It is rather hard to overdo the bearing preload assuming one is not completely careless. If it takes more than a prybar to remove the carrier, its too tight.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
No set number on the shims, it will vary from unit to unit. Blue bearings are most likely oil starvation. It is rather hard to overdo the bearing preload assuming one is not completely careless. If it takes more than a prybar to remove the carrier, its too tight.

thanks for the help. im putting in another diff tomorrow. maybe ill try 1 or 2 thouse less and see how that goes in. i cant figure out what may have messed up the bearings. it spun nice and easy when installed.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how I do a 10 bolt. I put the carrier completely in then hammer in the shims with a fat brass punch. I dont use a lot of force to do this but I dont know how to describe it. Again my take is it is much easier to set them too loose than too tight. BTW 001" - .002" will do nada for the preload.