Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 Bolt Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange 12 Bolt Question.

Im looking at buying a car that comes with a lot of parts but am trying to make sure it is worth it. It comes with a Strange 12 Bolt Rear that is not installed in the car.
The story on the rear is that the current owner bought it with a bad ring and pinion. He said that the pinion nut backed off and let the ring and pinion eat each other away and it just needs ] new ring and pinion gears.
I know very little about rear differentials and am wondering if these things chewed each other up what else could be damaged from this? Can metal shavings get into the posi unit and ruin the clutches? My dad has installed gears many times in rears and says pinion nuts are locking types and just about never back off
He said he had it inspected by a shop in town and they said it just needs new gears.
This rear is one of the big reasons for buying the parts car and Im wondering what you guys think...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump. I know someone on here has messed up a ring and pinion in their 12 bolt. How much damage did it do?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres a pic

Look like it needs a complete rebuild or is it salvagable?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Pinion nuts do come off if they're not tightened properly, not locktited, or not ***** punched. It's more common than you might think.

Thay carrier is probably ok, just check for cracks. I'd completely go through the rear end, replacing the gears and all the bearings.