Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Questions

Fairly new to the 4th gen cars and have a few questions about the rear in my 99 Z28. The car does have the traction control option. It looks to me like the car has 2.73 gears in it. It runs about 1500 RPM's at 70 MPH or what the speedometer says is 70MPH. The rear has painted on it 2.73 in yellow paint. I bought the car used so not sure what is in there and suspect it may have been changed.

The rear is noisy so I'm trying to figure out what I currently have before I decide how to solve the problem.

1. How do I tell what rear I have, 2 Series or 3 Series, 3 channel or 4 channel?
2. How do I tell if the Traction Control is still hooked up?
3. Where on the backing plate are the speed sensors for the traction control located?

With a little help, hopefully I can take a closer look and figure out what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

1. the correct way to check your gears is to count the teeth.......

if you have ABS only you have 3 channel, if you hae ABS and Traction control you have 4 channel

2. If traction control is still hooked up, turn key on and you should get the low trac light in the bulb check, or try doing a burnout, traction control should kick in when it detects wheel slip, you will feel it and the low trac light should come on......

3. your wheel speed sensors are located near the teeth on the back of the hub, there will be a two prong connector going to them....
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has the ratio painted on it, it most likely was a pull, such as a salvage yard. They marked it so they would know what ratio was in it w/o pulling the cover.
If it is a 2.73, it is a series 2. If it is a 3.23, it is a series 3. Those were the two ratios available for the autos.
tbarnardZ nailed all the other questions accurately.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Yep its a 2 series, 4 channel rear. You can probably locate a 3 series 3.23 4 channel rear for pretty cheap and swap them out. It would be less costly and less of a headache than going into the rearend itself most likely.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might even consider a 3.42, which came in the M6 models. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help. The car is a M6 which I forgot to mention earlier. With this information I should be able to figure out what I have.

Anyone have any leads on a rearend in the Atlanta area?

Thanks again.

Kevin