Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

nominal slip yoke to tailshaft clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nominal slip yoke to tailshaft clearance?

Sup guys, I've searched, and havent found a concrete answer, anywhere from 1-2" or so, but I'd like to know for sure. I just had a lot apart and noticed that under full droop, I have just over 2" of clearance, and when loaded I have 1.5-1.75" clearance, and it seems like a lot to me.

Had the u joints, replaced, had the (stockish) rear end apart, had the trans out, etc, and as far as I know, everything should have gone back the same and rear end geometry should be identical (wheel well appears centered also). I question this since I have less torque arm protrusion through the front mount (have a G2 TA, that I just had the shaft replaced on, but the new shaft may be shorter, just that its in my head now), and the slip yoke seems to be sticking out more than I remembered (but again, could be in my head).

Anyone have this information, or have a stock ds and stockish rear and can measure thier loaded (by the wheels), and unloaded slip yoke clearance?

I really appreciate it guys, I would feel alot better before I start pounding on it again,

Miki
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other reason I felt this was a possible issue was because of the clean line worn into the slip yoke, was sticking out a good inch or so, but I just thought of it, and the original tailshaft seal had a huge boot on it, where the new one does not (i just replaced it, along with a bunch of other stuff), and gives the appearance that the slip yoke is hanging out.

So, in the end, I think i'm fine, just that my TA is a tad shorter, which shouldn't be an issue, and everything else is probably exactly where it should be. Of course i've got a little more noise from the rear that I don't recall was there before, but i'll worry about that another time.

I'm still welcoming any measurements you guys may have, thanks again