Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear experts inside please! I have a broken pinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear experts inside please! I have a broken pinion

Ok, here a brief history. The car is a 2000 Z28 M6 with 3.42's. I've had the marbles in a can sound under 20 mph for a while now, I wasn't too worried. On Friday I was on it pretty good and the rear sorta skipped under load, then caught and bit. Immediately after it sounded like someone was beating on the rear pumpkin with a hammer. It was LOUD!

For peace of mind I had ordered a takeoff diff from SLP and it arrived on Friday (the same day it got 10x louder). Today I took the old diff out and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. There were slight shavings on the magnet but nothing to get alarmed about. Upon closer inspection, the pinion gear has hairline cracks from the teeth down to the center of the gear.

I assume I need new gears, is this correct? I would think a cracked pinion gear is not good but I'm not sure that a cracked pinion would make the noise I was hearing.

I'm in kind of a delimma since the car as of now has no diff and can't be towed anywhere to have new gears put in. Do I put the old diff back in so that it can be towed??

Help!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:11 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put it back together so it can safely be put on a flat bed.
Then when at shop can be pushed or slowly driven in.
It will undoubtedly be much harder to transport & work on with the axles unsupported by the diff.
Which might translate into more cost to you.
You definitely will need a new ring & pinion,+ the pinion & carrier bearings.