Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

VIN on rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VIN on rear end?

A friend of mine told me that the VIN number is stored on his rear end .... is this true?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:16 PM

Come on guys, I know plenty of you have replaced your rear ends ... is the VIN on there or what?
Old 11-22-2003, 01:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I have replaced a few but havent seen anything etched in it, there is a stocker on the left side with a bar code that may be readable and relate to the vin. On the other hand the transmission has the VIN etched right in it. Its hard to see on the rears since between the pinion seal leaking and the unpainted rusty rest of it - it may be on there but i havent seen one and I have had a few rears out..
Old 11-23-2003, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by kp
I have replaced a few but havent seen anything etched in it, there is a stocker on the left side with a bar code that may be readable and relate to the vin. On the other hand the transmission has the VIN etched right in it. Its hard to see on the rears since between the pinion seal leaking and the unpainted rusty rest of it - it may be on there but i havent seen one and I have had a few rears out..
Yeah that's what I thought. I figured if anything it would just be a sticker.

Thanks kp.