Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rant time ( Rebuilt rear end)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant time ( Rebuilt rear end)

Long story short guys, posted about this before....

Bought my car with rebuilt rear end from builder ( warranty's his work)
Had highway gear whine, he rebuilt the rear with an oem gear set.

Once again had a highway gear whine. Once again he redid it but this time with a set of motive gears. They make all kinds of noise.

Went to check the noise out today on the lift, some of it was from the driveshaft? Anyone heard of this before? Or is it harmonics of the pinion ( my theory).

With the drive shaft removed, i moved the pinion yoke by hand. with only aprox 350 miles! It felt extremely loose, im talking 1/16th of a turn maybe a 1/8 of total play without contacting the gears. ( You would have to feel it) It sure do's not feel like .07-.10 backlash, Where i recall it should be ( could be wrong).
( this also explains the clunk! from D/R etc that i get, i had it before he rebuilt it and now after which means the old one was set just as loose)

Now, my question is, i guess... I dont want this guy to touch my car again, if i had the money i would do it myself but i do not have the extra cash nor the time. What rights do i have here? I have the original invoice from the first time and paperwork from a dealer stating the rear end was audibly noisey.
What would you guys do?

Sorry for the confusing post!~
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

its been my experience after setting up a couple rears, that backlash always feels very loose at the yoke. I can't explain why.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adam1803
its been my experience after setting up a couple rears, that backlash always feels very loose at the yoke. I can't explain why.
thats very odd, I replaced my old cars worn rear with a junkyard 9 bolt that felt tighter then my freshly rebuild one in this car! lol
Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Does it have a torsen diff? I've been told that the gears will get deformed and get loose which would create a ton of slop. Mine has major slop, more then is probably even possible just from the ring and pinion lol.

Last edited by David_viny; 08-29-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunk is from the drive shaft, many were replaced back in the day under warranty. from P to D R to D and sometimes from 1st to 2nd at low speeds.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm, There was a odd noise coming from the DS as well, i wonder if the harmonics are messed with it on top of it causing a clunk?