Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help! I've got 2 noises, Clunking from rear end and a whirring noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Help! I've got 2 noises, Clunking from rear end and a whirring noise

Ok, my 98 T/A is sick. I have these 2 noises, and I'm not sure where they are coming from. Hopefully, someone here has had this problem before. Ok, here goes...
When I am slowing down, usually around 15-20 MPH, I get this loud clunking sound coming from what sounds like the right rear of the car. The noise is pretty loud initially, but the slower the car gets, the quieter the noise gets. If I let off of the brakes, the noise stops. Obviously, the noise has something to do with momentum transfer or weight shifting??? Everything in the back has been tightened, and lubed not to mention that all of my components are adjustable and the rear end is completely sqaured up (I set the car up myself alignment wise .00 thrust angle god bless adj. lca's). I replaced the rear brake pads and the fit kit but to no avail. The second noise is kind of weird. If I am doing 40-45 MPH, I let off of the gas and coast. At that point, if I press on the gas pedal just the slightest, I hear a whirring noise that sounds like it it coming from the rear end. Now I'm not sure if that is normal gear noise or if the two noises are correlated. I plan on upgrading the rear end later on anyway, I just want to make sure that the diff isn't going to break on me. Well, thanks for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Paul Moore
Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

my passenger rear rotor has a little play on the wheel studs, it will clunk when going form forward to reverse or reverse to forward or if i let off at slow speeds and get back on it. take the tire off and check it. see if the rotor will turn a bit without the axle turning. as for the whine, mine whines but stock gears shouldnt make any noise unless there is a problem
Old 12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have gears? If so, you may want to check the pinion for play. These cars are also known for noise from the parking brakes when out of adjustment. I'd also check the spring placement and shock. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I am getting a clunk as well from the rear when decelerating & coming to a stop. it's like....... when the car is dwnshifting and as you apply brakes to stop, you hear a "clunk". I will be getting my gear oil changed tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

I have stock gears and a whirring noise. The consensus is a pinion bearing slowly dieing.