Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing Rear End Fluid.. Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing Rear End Fluid.. Question

Alright, so today I bought some Mobil 1 75w90 rear end fluid.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._LS_75W-90.asp

^That's it. It says it has limited slip fluid added. So do I still need to go get the GM LSD Additive from the dealer? Or will I be fine with just that stuff.

Advance auto didn't have rear differential gaskets, but I got black RTV. Can I use JUST RTV or do I NEED the gasket? If so, where can I get this gasket?

Any tips for changing the fluid?

Also, my car is really a 99.. ignore my name. What rear end do I have in it?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its the stock rear you should have a torsen diff which you dont need the addative but heres a good write on how to tell which posi you have https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-what-oil.html and no you dont need a gasket use rtv
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Rob! I guess I'll just put in the mobil 1 fluid and see how it goes. If anything, I can always just add the LSD additive in afterwords. Any advice on getting to the rear? Must be a PITA with how our muffler's are RIGHT there. I guess just jack the car up high? haha
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Any advice on getting to the rear? Must be a PITA with how our muffler's are RIGHT there. I guess just jack the car up high? haha
ideally, you want the car level when you fill it back up. i like to drive the front up on rhino ramps, then put the rear axle on jackstands to get it level. and its a PITA to squeeze those bottles in the rear end sideways... you can never get it all out of the bottle. i got a hand pump from pep-boys... its like the pump top on a soap bottle, but with a hose on it. yeah, its a little slow to pump it in that way, but less chance of making a mess.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea its a pita slayer said it right i have a t/a cover on mine so i have a fill plug on the cover makes it alot easier
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I'm done! Got the fluid in and everything seems just normal. It was actually pretty good, no problems, PLENTY of room, and everything inside the rear looked great (not that i would know).

And man, those squeeze tips on the end of the gear oil bottles are useless on our cars. I ended up stealing a pump bottle of my sister's hair crap and filling it with the gear oil LOL. Much easier, but takes a lot longer. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I ended up stealing a pump bottle of my sister's hair crap and filling it with the gear oil LOL.
so when you were done with the car, did you put it back?