Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Finally ordered a rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Finally ordered a rear end

Since 2005 I've been talking about getting an aftermarket rear end, bugging the hell out of those around me, present sponsors, sponsors of the past, and my wife. Ladies and gentlemen, almost 4 years exactly after purchasing this 98 Z28, I have forked over the cash. Looking back I believe I have been that guy that talks about getting one, how great they are, how much I need it, and I'm pretty sure I can be credited with the formation of several rear end group purchases But that guy doesnt ever buy one

To you Eric, of Midwest Chassis, I would like you to know that it only took 4 years of intense studying, option weighing, mind changing, and much verbal abuse to my 10 bolt (which looses teeth like a shark ) to seal the deal. Please join with me in a moment of silence while we celebrate this passing from oem to indestructable.

Oh and while we're on the subject I might point out that I ordered a Strange S60 with 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker, Chrome-Moly yolk, S diff cover, and a Strange Driveshaft. Eric gave me a killer deal.

To you, mister 10 bolt, may you eat your heart out. I've listened to your noise and felt your vibrations for a long long time. You're getting replaced with a setup that many 4wheeling rigs use, lol. And this time all the extra noise that comes from the locker is going to be a reminder of how its NOT breaking!

Thank you. Maybe I'll get a Mufflex exhaust too and stop being that guy there too (where I've actually signaled the start of a GP there too and didnt get in...). WTF? Nah, I'll keep waiting on a used one to come around

Who wants to bet that I find a new excuse to not take it to the track?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That S60 will last longer then the car itself, enjoy it man. Wish I had the coin for that piece.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact rear. YOu will love it.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I can't even begin to explain how long I've been dealing with loud bearings, old used 4.10 gears, and a clunky carrier. I've just grown used to the noise of that thing. I'm not going to know what to do if this thing doesnt make any bearing/gear noise.

Does anyone else see the humor or irony in this rear end? I mean, for its entire life it has been nothing but a street car making lots of road trips. I think the ridiculous amount of overkill goes to show just how much hate I have for my 10 bolt, lol.

Its all gonna be cool now
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

if i may ask please educate me on this S60? is it basically a dana 60 truck axle built from ground up to fit out cars?... cause i am on my little power trip and i feel after i finish the engine i will need a trans or rear end which ever lasts the least....
Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i see ur sig no cam imagine if u had a cam like me im hurtin lol
Old 10-30-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therobman
wow i see ur sig no cam imagine if u had a cam like me im hurtin lol
I've got a hotcam while its still a small cam it makes a good bit of torque throughout the RPM range. I plan on getting a larger cam in the future for an LQ9.

I'm not a 100% that the S60 is similar to the dana 60s in trucks, but I will tell you that its freakin huge, as in the largest/heaviest rear end for our cars. At least that weight is in the right spot.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the clarification man i sure it wont be long till i need to upgrade mine
Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

I got my backing plates/dust covers and reluctor rings off last night. My 10 bolt must have known that something was up because it wasn't cooperating much. Is there anything sellable from my old rearend? The richmond 4.10 gears are terrible, the carrier is missing a few spider gear teeth... I've got a Mac performance diff cover!

Ahh, its going to be so nice to have an atom bomb proof rearend. Is there anything different about the size of the dana 60s that you see in 3/4ton trucks?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

well i aint gave it much more look but if you would drop a few pics when it arrives with a few mesurements i will compare it to a few of the 4x4s i run
Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I got my backing plates/dust covers and reluctor rings off last night. My 10 bolt must have known that something was up because it wasn't cooperating much. Is there anything sellable from my old rearend? The richmond 4.10 gears are terrible, the carrier is missing a few spider gear teeth... I've got a Mac performance diff cover!

Ahh, its going to be so nice to have an atom bomb proof rearend. Is there anything different about the size of the dana 60s that you see in 3/4ton trucks?
everything dana 60 and strange S60 as the same internals.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

ahhh ok well if its good enough for 44" swampers than it must be good enough for a few HP
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thats the funniest thing about putting a dana 60 in my car to me. I guess with a locker I can take the ol' camaro rock crawling and be okay too, lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Thats the funniest thing about putting a dana 60 in my car to me. I guess with a locker I can take the ol' camaro rock crawling and be okay too, lol.
there ya go rubicon ready SS!!!! you might can get you one of those jeep "trail rated" badges
Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

The anticipation is killing me. Has it been 4 weeks yet? I guess its just more time for the exposed 10bolt internals to rust... cursed internals that they are.

Maybe I'll weld up a cool mailbox from some of its parts... like an axle shaft for the post. Nah, it would be the weakest mailbox in town

Can't wait for the locker life. Extra positive traction.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Strange said it should ship tomorrow, which pretty much means the first part of next week. I was really hoping to get it like yesterday, but most good things are worth waiting for. I've been rockin a 94 4cyl Sanoma for the last month. I can't wait to get into something that doesnt need maximum effort just to find the main street speed limit Strangely the Camaro gets about the same gas mileage as the four bangin truck.

Would 8Banger make a cocky license plate?

Oh, I'm probably going to need to look into a way to lower this thing after the S60 goes in. I'm riding on stock everything with 137k miles. Dana 60s and detroit lockers are right at home in 4x4s though...
Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goodluck, man im looking at getting me a rear soon i think im going with the 9inch found a nice used one but if i had my choice it would be with the 60 my ten bolt its crying/howling too like a mother pup that just lost a child
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Still havent gotten it yet, and I'm starting to second guess my detroit locker choice I guess if I hate it then its nothing but rear end surgery. I guess the good news is that the locker would probably sell for a good amout...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still havent gotten it yet, and I'm starting to second guess my detroit locker choice I guess if I hate it then its nothing but rear end surgery. I guess the good news is that the locker would probably sell for a good amout...
Why are you second guessing the locker?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Because I've never driven one, and the only experience I have with one is from watching a friend of mine turn around sharply in a parking lot in his blown 65 mustang with a 9". I orderd a locker because I want it strong, reliable, bulletproof, and fantastic traction. It might have been a bit of an impulse upgrade as I was thinking about how my 10 bolt is loud, full of vibrations, clunky, and missing spyder gear teeth. All I was thinking about was how I wanted something that I will never have to second guess... especially if I've got 1/3 of the purchase price of my car in it. Loud and clunky is fine... if they are the noises associated with something being stonger than the other options.

What I am a little worried about is how much different it will be. We'll see how it does driving down country roads I guess the auto cross build is pretty much over, and maybe even road course racing too... while i've never done either of those, lol. Damn if it won't make the perfect drag rear end though...

I guess if its too nasty then I'll do a little surgury and get another carrier. As long as my backlash is the same from carrier to carrier then it should be a fairly strait forward change out, as the pinion depth won't change. Changing it out doesn't intimidate me, just a little more annoying work down the road if I choose to live the "Koni" life. At least the locker is worth more than any other diff unit

Oh, and if UPS takes any longer getting the damn thing to me then I'll be welding the relocation brackets (which I orderd from Summit on Sunday) to a hypothetical rear end