Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Noise?

Guys I need a little help.

For the past week my car has been making a grinding noise during normal driving. I do not beat on this car as it is my daily driver. I also have had issues with my brakes for the past few weeks. Had one of my calipers absolutely destroy a rotor...ripped it apart.

For some reason I have it in my head it's the E brake or something sticking making the grinding noise. My buddy thinks it's the rear end... The noise is not constant. It mainly happens when I let my foot off the gas, but goes away if I hit my brakes. The only time it is constant is when I am doing over 65 on the interstate or something, but often I am able to give it a little gas then it goes silent like normal..

I have noticed a leak from the rear end, but I hear that's normal on fbodys. Any input would be appreciated, need to figure out if I need to buy a new rear or put it in the shop for brakes.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a grinding noise or do you feel it kinda jerk and hear a almost popping noise? i changed my gears about a year ago and it was doing a very similar thing a easy way to check is to pull the rearend cover off and check your gears visually and check the oil for larger metal chunks. they will normally have metal flakes in there just from wear and tear. but the chunks get between the gears and make some terrible noises. hope this has helped

Originally Posted by davidhouston23
Guys I need a little help.

For the past week my car has been making a grinding noise during normal driving. I do not beat on this car as it is my daily driver. I also have had issues with my brakes for the past few weeks. Had one of my calipers absolutely destroy a rotor...ripped it apart.

For some reason I have it in my head it's the E brake or something sticking making the grinding noise. My buddy thinks it's the rear end... The noise is not constant. It mainly happens when I let my foot off the gas, but goes away if I hit my brakes. The only time it is constant is when I am doing over 65 on the interstate or something, but often I am able to give it a little gas then it goes silent like normal..

I have noticed a leak from the rear end, but I hear that's normal on fbodys. Any input would be appreciated, need to figure out if I need to buy a new rear or put it in the shop for brakes.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

since you noticed a leak,have you checked the fluid level?