Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Danm,another Alum. DS was gone!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thumbs down Danm,another Alum. DS was gone!!

In the first week of dicember i broke my first driveshaft.So ordered an aftermarket one ,but i still waiting for it and desided to go to my local track break my 2nd ds in dicember.2 ds in one month ,i hate factory alum. ds .Well let wait for the new one to arrive,happy hollidays!!

Luis
Old 12-28-2003, 02:10 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Somethin don't sound right. You've broken two driveshafts with stock internals and light mods? I have seen M6 cars go 9's on the stock alum. driveshaft.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes,sounds like your pinion angle is way off or tranny/rear yoke is messed up.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory drive shafts don't hold up too well IMO.

My 02 Camaro with a lid, cutout, and SLP MAF meter broke the factory aluminum drive shaft cutting high 1.9x 60 foots.

A friend of mine with a 99 Z28 had exhaust and a lid when he broke the factory aluminum drive shaft cutting mid 1.8x 60 foots.

My neighbor's 99 SS with a lid, exhaust, and custom cam also broke his factory aluminum driveshaft running mid to high 7's in the 1/8th mile. I think he was cutting low 1.8 60 foots when his let go.

I believe all three of our driveshafts broke in the exact same spot.

Chad
Old 12-28-2003, 10:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran all year on stock driveshaft with a 3650lb car dumping the clutch at 6000+ with ET streets/12 bolt. My old driveshaft is in the car that my old 12 bolt is in and still going strong with ET streets.

I had a denny's aluminum shaft here and never put it in, matter of fact chadtn bought it, since I never had a problem. Anything can break though, there are guys that get a lot of use out of a 10 bolt and hundreds of passes out of a stock 4L60E but then there are guys that dont get one pass If a near stock car is breaking them a lot something has to messed up with the driveline angles or the shafts were dinged or damaged somehow - they arent that weak. Wheel hop is the killer on these things with DRs and street tires at the track.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well the only thing that i can check is i have the energy susp. trans. mount and it create a very bad vibration in my car.Other than that everything looks fine with my rear end.
In the next week i spect to receive my dynotecheng. 3.5 aluminum ds.At the same time i going to work with my trans mount.I going to delete the back plate who came with it and grind the 2 niples in it back.Them i both at a harware store some kind of rubber gasket to use them in the 4 bolt of the crossmember.As soon i do it i going to meassre the pinion angle to verify it.I going to keep you updated with my results.Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I probably got about 9 passes out of my factory drive shaft. It was only the second time I had ever taken the car to the track. My driveshaft broke on the line...the car didn't move even a milimeter. I'm pretty sure all three that I mentioned broke the same way and in the exact same spot.

BTW...I finally got around to installing that driveshaft kp. Thanks for the great deal. That factory steel one just wasn't cutting it. ; )

fastsspr...Where did the two you broke let go at?

Chad