Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear oil coming out side on new rear??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gear oil coming out side on new rear??

Got a real nice Fab 9 under the car and I have been trying to get the car ready for a tune (less than 25 miles on the setup) and I noticed while on the lift that there was gear oil all over the inside of the driverside wheel? Passenger side was fine.

What do you guys recommend? I thought about using some type of sealent first, then if that didn't work pull the axle and have it repressed?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably gonna have to pull the axle anyways to check the axle seal and I'm not sure on the fab 9" but does the axle bearing have the o-ring on it also? If so, check the inner seal to make sure it's not distorted or bent and properly seated. If it looks fine try some RTV around the o-ring to help it seal better or get a new one and press it on. One of the write-ups on here for a 9" install the guy used RTV around that o-ring just as added insurance. Hope you get it fixed man.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to pull the axle, if you have the type with a seal you should be able to tell if it's leaking on the inside or outside of the seal. If it's leaking on the outside you should be able to fix it by putting some RTV on it and put it back in. If it's leaking on the inside you will need a new seal, with means pressing the bearing off.
Mine leaked when it was new too and when I pulled the axle there was a nick on the surface that the seal rides on, I had to replace the axle.