Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear-End rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-End rebuild.

Ok so I have a 2000 SS with M6. I recently took it to Burnett auto for some new tires. They did some checking for me since recently I've heard a kind of whining noise from the rear. They think that the axle is bent and it wore out a bearing. They wan't me to take it to a drivetrain shop and have them look at it. Does all of that sound plausible? Where is a good place to purchase rear-end rebuild kits, and possible an axle?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Summit Racing has rebuild kits for around 100 bucks. It is possible you bent an axle and burned up an axle bearing. Does your rearend leak? Could have just ran low on fluid and burned up a bearing. If you do rebuild it, put a gear in it while you have it apart.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

plausible but not probable,unless you impacted a curb or something.
pinion bearings,carrier bearings,wheel bearings are all culprits.
Is the whine/noise in time with the tire rotation(once per tire rotation) or about 3 times per tire rotation ?
once indicates carrier or wheel bearing(s),about 3 times indicates pinion bearing(s).

Axles are available by watching the for sale ads in these car forums. 2 different axles-one for ABS 3 channel and one for ABS & TC 4 channel. An SS probably has 4 channel. Buying a used axle,gotta watch out for worn beyond service of the bearing surface.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Ok thank you, The noise is about once every tire rotation. So an entire rebuild is probably far fetched? More than likely it will just be a bearing? I know a decent amount these cars but the rear-end is towards the bottom of the barrel for me.