Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Pattern Check

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear Pattern Check

It looks kinda ok but it looks like it too close to the inside

sorry for the picture quality i was covered in gear fluid and just wanted to take the pics before i left the shop

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

1. Are the gears new or used and did Richmond make them?

2. What is your backlash set at and what thickness is the pinion shim?

3. Is it a 7.5, 12 bolt.....and what is the ratio??

To me the pattern appears to be close but not exact. Answer the above and I might be able to steer you in a cleaner direction. It appears the gear might not have been lapped in properly at the manufacturer or if they are used, had a funky wear pattern from the previous install. You're looking for smooth tooth contact, not the choppy :crazy tooth: pattern I'm seeing.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

This is what you want to see.....I built this one about 3 years ago. It should be smooth sailing across the tooth on both sides. Pull and Coast.

If you are using Richmond, I will argue until the day I die that they are no good and never have been. A few lucky sets might come out of there but Richmonds whine, they do not lap their gears properly and they are weak.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Motive Gears 3.73
10 Bolt 7.5
Stock Pinion shim
backlash is a little loose .011 -.012
Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by witry
Motive Gears 3.73
10 Bolt 7.5
Stock Pinion shim
backlash is a little loose .011 -.012
You made a good choice going with Motive. I've had nothing but good luck with them. Your pinion depth and backlash are not numbers you want to second guess or penny pinch on. Your final gear pattern will have an enormous effect on how long they last and if they make noise. Your back lash needs to be a little closer to .008 or .009 if it's a new gear set. Due to the smaller nature of the ring and pinion, the backlash is a bit tighter. This needs to be corrected and run another pattern. .011-.012 is 9in used gear arena. Be sure your pinion crush collar is crushed properly. Always buy new or use a solid spacer with shims if one is made and set your preload on the pinion to about 25 inch pounds. It's very easy to go wrong. 9 inches and 12 bolts are a little more forgiving but a 7.5 needs to be dead on. Good Luck