Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

M6-373's to 411's-What was YOUR experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6-373's to 411's-What was YOUR experience?

What kinds of gains or upside did you have? Was there any downside? Looking for personal experiences...
What did your butt-o-meter tell you?

I'm getting these slapped into a 12 bolt on thursday. My mods are in my sig.
My personal reasons for doing this are:

With a V2 cam and DR's, it's kind of a bitch to launch, I either bog or the tires go up in flames. (Could be me!)

On the street, if I roll out slowly and then stab it, it seems like I'm waiting forever for my powerband.

Even though I have a great tune, there is a small rpm window (1400rpm) that I have buck and surge. This is pretty much in my freeway cruising window of speed, as well as what speed I roll through parking lots.

Right now, traction on the street is not an issue from a roll... I assume this might change? I don't care about mileage. If I spray, I imagine I'll be near the end of 4rth, but could always go to a taller tire at the track.

What can I expect?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I cant say with 3.73's but with my 4.11's my highway cruising speed is around 2000rpm's
Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Best thing that I did was change to 4.10s from 3.73s when I went fron the 10 bolt to my S60. No track experience but on the street much better. But dyno also likes it and car launches good. In the power bAND MORE AND CAN ACTUALLY USE 6TH GEAR ON THE HIGHWAY IF DOING 70 PLUS MPH OTHERWISE STILL IN 5TH 9hit caps lock by accident).
Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Got 'em in...

I don't have the break-in miles yet to make a WOT pass, but damn! It's much nicer all around for cruising. I love it on the freeway. I cruise around 75 anyway, so it's perfect. No more lugging. If you have a medium to large cammed car, this is a must. Even cruising in parking lots is better because it gets you above the rpm cammed cars tend to surge or buck. Gently rowing through the gears stoplight to stoplight seems easier. When you roll out of the clutch gently, then give it half throttle, I used to have to wait three days for the power to come on, now it's right there. My gears (motive) are dead quiet except there's a tiny whine in 6th, just like the 373's had. I can't wait to stomp on this thing! I didn't really notice 342 to 373's, but damn, 411 gears are PERFECT for this cam! Since I've just been cruising, I calculated the mileage for city/highway combo mileage and holy $hit! 17.5mpg in a cammed/geared car! I never got over 15 before. Best mod I've done in a long time! I'll post up after I get the miles on it for a "Butt-O-Meter" review.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 08-26-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to the 1st gear in a Fbody T-56 it really need a 4.10 due to the weight/gearing. GTO's got the M12 due to their weight, dont kid yourself, it works.

Quick Reply: M6-373's to 411's-What was YOUR experience?