Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

replacing the gear sets. NEED SOME HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing the gear sets. NEED SOME HELP

Ok guys, Im not on here much except to look for good deals from other 4th gen owners, but i need any advice i can get. Im looking to install a 3.73 gear set in the M6 rear end, but have no clue as to what Im doing. I know engine, trans stuff, but not so much rear ends. I already have the panhard bar removed and the rear cover off and draining. now all i need to know, is how to remove the spool so i can change the gears. Do I drop the driveshaft also? any help would be great guys

thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm

also join up
https://ls1tech.com/forums/groups/ohio-lsx.html
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Launching!

yeah remove the driveshaft ...you'll also need a press ...bearing pullers ...and an assortment of pinion and differentail shims ..also a dial indicater ...inch lb torque wrench, ft lb torque wrench ..i aslo suggest a solid pinion spacer ..instaed of the crush sleeve ...gear marking compound ...and a lot of patience ...i get 150.00 to 200.00 to do a gear swap with the axle out of the car ..takes between 2 and 4 hours on average to do one with new gears ..used gears take a little longer ...you have to set backlash and pinion depth as well as carrier bearing preload and pinion preload ...good luck...
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Not to be a dick but if you don't know how to get the gears out do you think you'll be able to setup the gear set right. If you dont have the right tool and know how you can mess up the install quick. I would have someone do them for you. That being said you need to remove the drive shaft, wheels, calipers and mounting brackets and axles
Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 AM
12 Second Club

alright thanks guys. I have a better idea on what needs to be done to get the gears done. driveshaft is already down and the spool is already out. now just gotta get the axles out and the bearings.

Bigj2717- im doing the gears swap on my own because Id like to get a better understanding on whats on my car rather than having someone else whos profession is working on cars. plus i like to have a sense of pride on working on my own car. so its ok, no offense taken anyways.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ring gear bolts are left hand thread!

If you have to reset the backlash and pinion depth, buy an extra pinion bearing, and ream it out a little so you can slip it on and off the pinion quickly (ie. without having to destroy the bearing when trying to take it off). It'll cost you like $30, but it's so worth it. When you set the pinion depth, you have to make sure you use the correct shim between the bearing and the pinion gear. You can usually get away with just using the stock one, but sometimes it's not enough.

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm

For pinion depth and backlash:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5717.pdf

I suggest you read through the entirety of the first link before going any further. Take note that the sizes of bolts and wrenches in the link may not be exactly what you need. Good luck! Feel free to PM me at any time. I'm not the expert, but i've done gears before, and am fairly confident.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Not to be a dick but if you don't know how to get the gears out do you think you'll be able to setup the gear set right. If you dont have the right tool and know how you can mess up the install quick. I would have someone do them for you. That being said you need to remove the drive shaft, wheels, calipers and mounting brackets and axles
can not learn if you dont try