Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Used gears whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Used gears whine

Hi guys I had the 3.42 in my sig installed about a month back just recently noticed they humm a tad bit on the hwy 70-85mph under throttle were talking that u need to have the radio off and windows up to hear them. They are oem gears but were taken from a junk yard so the exact mileage is unknown. The guy who installed them is a respectable mechanic who does this stuff daily for over 20 yrs now. he did the rears on my buddies camaro and my old firebird so I really doubt its an install prob. I'm thinking since the gears were used the exact mesh pattern of the old rearend just cant be matched exactly to the new setup and thus the whine? Like I said above if your having a normal convo in the car or listening to music you cant hear anything. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think you are right-gears had a wear pattern worn in and it is really hard to get them set up exactly the same and the whine results.If its as hard to hear as you say count yourself lucky IMO.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats what I thought, I was there learning when he was installing and saw the backlash sitting right within spec per the gm shop manual so I know they wwere setup right just must be the wear pattern. Theyre quieter than some 10 bolts ive heard so im not worried about them coming apart.