Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

? about my Midwest 9" rearend

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about my Midwest 9" rearend

I have about 600 miles on it and everything works perfect.But today as i was making some quick right/left turns it seemed like something was moving from side to side.It felt like the wheel was a little loose.I jacked it up real quick and the lug nuts are tight.I pulled on the driver side wheel and the axle moves in and out,but only a tiny bit like 1/32 of an inch or so.Just enough to make a slight clunk sound if i do it hard.I pulled the axle out real quick and the wedding ring thing is still tight against the bearing,and the bearing is right up to the shoulder.I narrowed it down to play in the bearing.I dont remember it doing this when i put the rear together.Is it normal for there to be a little endplay in the axle like this.All i can think of is the thick grease in the bearing is gone and its just gear oil now,so its loosened up a bit.Just curious,i havent even checked passenger side yet,got rained out.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you did not end up with spacers from Strange that go in between your backing plate and the housing end. I had this problem and it took alot of pulling the axles in and out to figure out what was up. My wheels moved up and down quite a bit when I yanked on them because they were not seating properly up against the taper bearings.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe a little endplay is normal.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i checked everything,and all looks good,the passenger side is the same.Its just a little play in the bearings,no biggie.I was just having a paranoia day or something