Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Slight Gear Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Gear Whine

I recently blew some teeth out of my 3.73 gears. I purchased new 3.73 Richmond's and installed them. The first time I took it out, the whine was deafening.

I brought the car back, made some adjustments and now the whine can be heard, but not nearly as well. It's about the equivalent of medium tire noise. Is a slight whine normal for the break in period? Any suggestions?

Is there any chance that this is normal? My backlash is slightly high (about 0.012, it calls for 0.002 to 0.010) and my pattern looks good. High on one side and low on the other, centered in the teeth. I could probably provide photos of my pattern if necessary. I couldn't manage to get the backlash in that range. This was the closest I've been able to get it. I've been working on this thing for over a month now in my free time and this is hands down the closest I have been able to get it. This is also the first gear set I've tried to install on my own.

This has me ready to smash my head through a wall, I really need help with this one.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I barely took it more than 1.25 miles.