Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

No posi lock up in reverse - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No posi lock up in reverse - normal?

My wife drove my car over to a neighbor's house and got stuck in the driveway after a snow storm...(Moto - Never let your wife drive your hot rod)

The car was stuck head on....and we were trying to drive out of the snow covered driveway in reverse. She got the car slightly sideways before I arrived....

...Anyway one rear wheel was moving and the other was not (refer to the movie "My Cousin Vinny" for a complete description of the benefits of posi traction rear ends for defeating the ill effects of Alabama mud - same as snow in New York - right? )...

...ANYWAY - IS THIS NORMAL?

GM changed the fluid a while back and did not put any additive in the rear; it has been whining slightly ever since; are my clutch packs now burned out or is the posi designed to lock up only in forward and not in reverse?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
My wife drove my car over to a neighbor's house and got stuck in the driveway after a snow storm...(Moto - Never let your wife drive your hot rod)

The car was stuck head on....and we were trying to drive out of the snow covered driveway in reverse. She got the car slightly sideways before I arrived....

...Anyway one rear wheel was moving and the other was not (refer to the movie "My Cousin Vinny" for a complete description of the benefits of posi traction rear ends for defeating the ill effects of Alabama mud - same as snow in New York - right? )...

...ANYWAY - IS THIS NORMAL?

GM changed the fluid a while back and did not put any additive in the rear; it has been whining slightly ever since; are my clutch packs now burned out or is the posi designed to lock up only in forward and not in reverse?

What year is the car? If it is a torsen equipped car and one wheel was "airborne" or nearly so, it will do just what you describe. Easy fix, gently pull the E-brake, it will load the spinning wheel and the car will move....
Old 02-05-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks...
Tracbird:
Car is 1999 F-body. So pulling the e-brake while the wheel is spinning will load the spinning wheel? I thought I needed to load the non-spinning wheel to move the car.

If I dump the clutch in a forward gear both tires seem to catch (spin) so I assume the clutches in the posi rear are working as designed...
Old 02-05-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

99 should be a torsen car (no clutches) and the e-brake trick will work (just don't overheat the e-brake.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Really?

How does the Torsen rear lock both wheels without clutches?

Thanks...