Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Oh no...please tell me my NEW driveshaft isnt too short!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oh no...please tell me my NEW driveshaft isnt too short!!!

Well after all this time waiting on a drivehshaft, Im thinking its too short. This was the very last part that was holding me back from completing the conversion. I wanted to share this with you and hopefully get some feedback. The slip yolk is roughly 4" long, but when I seat the u-joints into the pinion yolk, only 2" of the slip yolk is into the tranny. So bascially half the slip yolk is in. Is that not enough? Is that dangerous? Im already disappointed and pissed because I waited almost a month for this shaft and I did not expect it to be like this. Let me know what you think, thanks.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:35 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...I did some measuring! If I slide the shaft all the way into the tranny, it goes in 3 1/4". If I pull it back and seat it on the pinion yolk and bolt it down, it goes in 1 3/4". So there is a 1 1/2" difference. The output shaft on the tranny sticks out 5/8". So the slip yolk is really touching 2 3/8" on the output shaft of the tranny. Is that enough? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your rear suspension loaded, and the car sitting level? If not, it will make your DS appear short. If the car's up on stands, with the rear diff hanging by the shocks, it's much lower than service use and the distance between the trans tailshaft and rear yoke is much greater.

Ensure the rear's fully loaded and re-check.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Car was on jack stands when I measured and when I installed the new shaft. Yes, the rear was supported as well. I was told if it has more than 1 1/2" of travel, then its too short. Well...as I stated before, when I push the slip yolk all the way in, it goes in 3 1/4" and when its bolted to the pinion yolk, its 1 3/4". So there is 1 1/2" of travel and I sure hate to be at its maximum. Id feel a lot comfortable if it was at its minum. Do you think that I should leave it or get a new shaft? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oh no...please tell me my NEW driveshaft isnt too short!!!