Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9"

Ok just a few more questions before I actually decide. Man, ya gotta love the search function here. So far from all i have read I will be going with a 9" due to strength with 33 spline axles. I plan on ditching the rear abs(or perhaps all the abs). The car is a daily driver and can see 1000-1500 miles a month. Im just looking at my options and cant decide which is best for my application. I want a spool but cant do that because i have to drive it daily. I want a posi but i hear they tend to break easily. I would like a locker but ive heard(mines an M6 btw) that the locker will engage and disengage between shifts, and has the possibility of putting me into the wall on a high rmp clutch dump when it engages. the only other option i have heard of is a powertrax or something of that nature. but i ask..

Is a locker that bad? or is this powertrax thing i have heard nothing about my solution.. please any and all feedback is greatly appriciated.
S
Old 02-24-2004, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

I'm facing the same decesion, but from everything i've read go with the spool. If you are gonna launch hard at the track, the locker could be sketchy, and the posi will wear out.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

but im kinda crazy on the streets. I tend to take corners kinda fast and was told that with a spool that would pretty much leave me in a spin out. If i broke the spool it wouldnt be to expensive to replace tho. but i dont want to be replacing spools all the time. Maybe i can hop into the Texas section and find someone with both a locker and a spool and see If they will take me for a ride??
S
Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You most likely wont break a spool on a 9" unless you plan on running low 8s or faster..

If you ditch the rear ABS you ditch all the ABS, my ABS and TCS were gone long ago.

A locker wont be the best thing to nail around corners either, but I wouldnt fool with a regular posi. My car isnt a daily driver but I still put over 500 miles a month on it mostly driving back and forth to the tracks around here and its not bad wit the spool. I wouldnt worry about a locker putting you in a wall - you can 'feel' them unlock/lock sometimes on shifts but if the car is right its nothing drastic. For a daily driver 35 spline axles and a locker would be my choice for a high HP M6 car, I still may swap a locker in my car one of these days. Easy enought to do on a 9" but the 400.00 is the hard part