Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Vendors

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Vendors

Has anybody ever used, seen or know anything about GearVendors.com???
Old 02-29-2004, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been doing some research on the GV set too since the thought of running 80 mph on the freeway at 4K rpms isn't the funest really.

I can't seem to find anyone in the F-body world that's racing with the TH400+GV combo though and that is making more than 600HP at the wheels. I'm assuming that's enough power to warrant a built TH400 and too push through any extra driveline weight that the GV is going to add to the all ready power robbing TH400.

The basic info I've seen is that for drag racing, you would probably run the gears as 1st, 2nd, 2nd+OD and 3rd for your gear range. So, with GV's .78 OD gear that would give you tranny gears of 2.48, 1.48, 1.15 and 1 with the TH400. So using a reverse manual valve body with a OD button selector on the stick, you'd run first, pull second, hit the OD button and pull third and stay way up in the power band the whole way down the track.

I figure the total weight of the TH400 and the GV is probably a bit less than that that of the 4L80E but the rotational mass in the driveline is probably pretty close.

So you've the benefit of the 2OD for drag racing, effectively 6-Speed auto for highway cruising vs M-6s and bikes for an additional $2k above the cost of a 4L80E.

Someone please tell us it's worth the extra $2K.

Rick
Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001-WS6
I've been doing some research on the GV set too since the thought of running 80 mph on the freeway at 4K rpms isn't the funest really.

I can't seem to find anyone in the F-body world that's racing with the TH400+GV combo though and that is making more than 600HP at the wheels. I'm assuming that's enough power to warrant a built TH400 and too push through any extra driveline weight that the GV is going to add to the all ready power robbing TH400.

The basic info I've seen is that for drag racing, you would probably run the gears as 1st, 2nd, 2nd+OD and 3rd for your gear range. So, with GV's .78 OD gear that would give you tranny gears of 2.48, 1.48, 1.15 and 1 with the TH400. So using a reverse manual valve body with a OD button selector on the stick, you'd run first, pull second, hit the OD button and pull third and stay way up in the power band the whole way down the track.

I figure the total weight of the TH400 and the GV is probably a bit less than that that of the 4L80E but the rotational mass in the driveline is probably pretty close.

So you've the benefit of the 2OD for drag racing, effectively 6-Speed auto for highway cruising vs M-6s and bikes for an additional $2k above the cost of a 4L80E.

Someone please tell us it's worth the extra $2K.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the comments. With the price of the GV, it'll be awhile before I look at that purchase, but it's good to know what I'm saving up for. When the pennies are all saved, i'll most likely install on. When that happens, I'll let everyone know how it works.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know of anyone running it yet and also drag racing a lot, I'm sure there is someone out there.....I might consider one for the future if they can hold up to the power my car will potentially be making......
Old 03-01-2004, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check back in about a month from now. I have a new unit laying in the garage as we speak. Plan to install it on my Rossler 400 turbo.
Tom
Old 03-01-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The cost of both set ups ended up about the same. Rossler built 4l60 or 80E built to handle 600rwhp was over $3500. My Rossler built 400 turbo with deep pan,trans brake was around $1450 with the speedo kit installed. Gear venders overdrive unit was $2200 so together it was around $3650. Now add in a core charge for the 4l60-80E and it would have cost more due to the above 400 turbo price included core charge. They say it will handle up to 1200 hp and can make it hold up to 2000 hp. I like the idea of having a tranny that I know will handle what ever I throw at it plus the gear venders od turns my 3.50 gear into a 2.72 gear in od on the highway.
Tom
Old 03-01-2004, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

nbm00ws6,

You're going through all the same combos that have been bouncing in my head.

The Rosler+GV should be fun and you're making enough power to give it a serious workout. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. So get yourself over to Norwalk.

I'm looking forward to jumping on the bandwagon.

Rick
Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default john kilgore

Originally Posted by COP-SS
Has anybody ever used, seen or know anything about GearVendors.com???
l have one in my shop now and the guy loves it. but you can't run to much stall so that in od your not slipping the tc
Old 03-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Default i have gear vendors and race with apporx 550 hp engine

I like the gear vendors. just making the swap alone gained me .2 in the 1/4. My mile per hour increased as well by 2mph. I have a reverse manual tci th400 with the gear vendors. The best part of the entire thing (besides overdrive), is the ability to choose which gear you want (you have 6 now). So before if I was coming up to somebody on the street at 65 mph I would not downshift into 2nd cause my rev's would be through the roof. Now, at 65mph and can just down shift from 3-over (six gear) to 2nd-over (4th gear). Much better. Plust it's just darn fun. Do i use all six gears all the time, NO. Usually it's 1-2-3-3over. At the track it's 1-2-2over-3. someone e-mail me if you have any specific questions. Yeah gear vendors claims 1200 hp handeling. The old callaway corvettes had th400-gear vendors combo's. That is what sold it to me.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:35 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the input. It's good to here from someone who is a head of us on this path.

Rick
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nbm00ws6
The cost of both set ups ended up about the same. Rossler built 4l60 or 80E built to handle 600rwhp was over $3500. My Rossler built 400 turbo with deep pan,trans brake was around $1450 with the speedo kit installed. Gear venders overdrive unit was $2200 so together it was around $3650. Now add in a core charge for the 4l60-80E and it would have cost more due to the above 400 turbo price included core charge. They say it will handle up to 1200 hp and can make it hold up to 2000 hp. I like the idea of having a tranny that I know will handle what ever I throw at it plus the gear venders od turns my 3.50 gear into a 2.72 gear in od on the highway.
Tom
Tom, any info on this yet?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope Levi, I can't get that lazy guy working on it to finish the new procharger/fmic set up. He just lays around and plays video games when he's not at work. Wait a min. that guy is me. lol Between family and work I just can't seem to work in time for the car but I will soon.
Tom
Old 01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a logon for fullsizechevy.com you can check out a very detailed tech article I wrote up there.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31459

There are some follow-up posts at the bottom of the thread that answer some more questions on operation.

-James B.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by john kilgore
l have one in my shop now and the guy loves it. but you can't run to much stall so that in od your not slipping the tc

I was considering running a th400 w/4000 stall and the gv would this setup no work?

Also can you shift into od at wot?

Last edited by 97 white; 01-28-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Question

What would weigh more, a built 4L80E or a TH400 with a GV OD unit?
How about a TH350 with a GV unit versus a built 4L60E?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

LOOK..........if all you want is an over drive, and one that will take whatever hp you can throw at it, check this out. before anyone buys a G.V. unit, i would just like to say i strongly recommend looking into a V2OD unit. the typical cost is $1435 vs. $2200 price tag on the G.V. (they say $1635, but i'm sure the $1435 price offered to me was a regular thing. if not, they have sales often.) the V2OD has an optional 20% or 30% od with the G.V. being limited to 22% od. so with the 30% reduction, you'll save more money in fuel over time than with the G.V., not to mention the immediate savings of $765 up front. the other benefit is even lower rpm's which should give your engine a longer life theoretically. i am not a vendor, and i'm not asking you to mention my name, i'm just trying to help out and pimp a nice piece that will do the same job for less money. again, only if you're looking into the g.v. because you want an o.d. they have a frequently asked questions section on their site that should help out as well. pm me with any questions i might be able to help you out with. oh, and btw...the customer service is outstanding.

http://www.usgear.com/v2od.htm

later,
Dave

PS.......I just noticed it's at $1535 now. i'll try to remember to give them a call on Monday the 31st if anyone is interested. pm me if you are and i'll let you know. i've talked to Jim over there several times and kind of know him because of it.

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 01-28-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The V2OD and GV-OD are not comparable so easily. These units are built for different purposes.

The Gear Vendors is a planetary setup with a sprag and overrun clutch. It is hydraulic, has no linkage, is electrically engaged, and can be engaged or disengaged at any speed over 20 mph and any throttle position. I can work continuous duty splitting gears, even while towing. It cannot be used under 20mph. (When combined with a TH400 the practical net result is a 4-speed transmission.)

The U.S. Gear V2OD works more like the manual transfer case in a 4x4. You have low and you have high, low is 1:1 It shifts like a manual transfer case meaning that it can be done at low speeds and when stopped, but not under power and not at more than 40mph. It is not intended to be engaged and disengaged during normal driving, for example to split gears. (When combined with a TH400 the practical net result is a dual-range 3-speed transmission.)
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 AM
9 Second Club

ooooooookayyyy. i'm not sure exactly what part of "if you're JUST looking to add an overdrive" you missed, but that was the whole point of my response. so, are you saying that if i only wanted to drop my final drive ratio for highway cruising by 20-30%, that the V2OD would not be the best option monetarily speaking? or even in general? i honestly can't see how you could argue that it wouldn't be. yea, the electonic activation is nice, but does it make a BIG difference how it is engaged if you use it for just an O.D.? let's go over this real quick. it has a positive linkage engagement setup so you know when it's engaged or not. it must be engaged before you reach 40mph, like when you're getting onto the highway, or any time you know you will reach a speed where OD would be nice. you can't go full throttle with more than 550hp off the line with it engaged. at the strip with it disengaged, it runs indirect and all the power bypasses the unit so it can handle whatever you can throw at it, (within reason i would assume). it gives you every bit of added fuel economy that the G.V. unit would and then some, (if you get the 30% option). and it saves $765 off the bat, if the price hasn't changed! i can't see how i could go wrong with getting one of these vs. a G.V. please, tell me if i'm missing something and why a G.V. would be a better choice in a vehicle that DOES NOT TOW. if that's actually what you were trying to say, perhaps i misunderstood. let me know your thoughts one way or another because personally, i think people put too much into G.V. units when there is such a great, imo, alternative for non-work, non-hauling, performance oriented vehicles. not that you hear of a great deal of people with an aftermarket OD in their performance cars anyway.

later,
Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 01-29-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

hes saying if you just want to cruise on the hwy, you just engage it before you go and disengage it before you race. (v2od)
if you want to race/tow and split gears on a whim then the GV is the only option.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:04 AM
14 Second Truck Club

The Gear Vendors is the better unit - hands down. It is super tough, and can be engaged at almost any speed.
What is the use of an overdrive that you can only turn on when you dont need it? So you have to have it on before you get on the highway? The V2OD would force you to try and accelerate you RV or motorhome or truck with a 2.46 gear on the on ramp to the expressway instead of your 4.10 gear if you got the .7 ratio.
AT my work we are distributors for both units, and in my opinion the GV is the better unit. It is far mor versatile and convenient and very tough.

Quick Reply: Gear Vendors