Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Looking for a complete rear end...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a complete rear end...

Looks like my 10-bolt w/3.73's is dying. This is my second. I'm only pushing <400rwhp, but plan to go to ~500 in the next year or two.

The car is totally set up for autocross, but is mainly a street driven car, with the *very* rare trip to the track and plans for some possible road racing (once she's no longer a daily driver).

I don't want to rebuild this rear end. I really want a bolt-in complete solution. I love what I've been reading about the MWC...except the long wait. (Exactly how long *is* that wait?)

Any advice the forum has on a new, complete rear would be greatly appreciated.

Help?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing would be to decide what you want. 12 bolt, 9" or S60. And if you want to retain the antilock brakes. All of them just bolt in. Only real modification is the drive shaft. For what you're doing another consideration would be the available LS units for whatever rear you decide on. I'd pay close attention to the torque arm you pick and how you're going to mount it.

Al 95 Z28 S60 bolt in from CRP.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
First thing would be to decide what you want. 12 bolt, 9" or S60. And if you want to retain the antilock brakes. All of them just bolt in.
Honestly, I wouldnt even consider a 12 bolt when theres not much price difference & the other options are more reliable.
Only real modification is the drive shaft.
A stronger DS is a must when upgrading the rear so I wouldnt recommend trying to get a stock one shortened or lengthened to work. Just buy a new one.
For what you're doing another consideration would be the available LS units for whatever rear you decide on. I'd pay close attention to the torque arm you pick and how you're going to mount it.

Al 95 Z28 S60 bolt in from CRP.
I ordered my MWC 9 last year & it took me about 3 months to received the housing, TA & center section & got my axles & bearings from Strange 3 weeks later.
One of the reasons I went with the MWC unit is their torque arm mount is hands down the best setup the way it mounts to the housing. Moser sells the fab 9 too & you can get it a lot quicker but its about $400 more & their options are almost double what MWCs prices are. OP if your considering ordering one check this out. https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-new-pics.html
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies guys. I definitly want to retain the ABS. I've been looking at the MWC...but I don't think I can wait 3 months...
Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lead times aren't that bad as of now, but there are ways around it too. Keep in mind we are direct dealers for Strange and Moser also and offer the best prices you can find on any rearend for the f-body cars.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm
I have a lot of info at the above link that should help you out.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/82-02-F-B...ar-Ends_c5.htm
Here is the link to the Moser rears that I sell. These rears ship out in just two days, and shipping is included in my prices. Meaning, the price with any options you pick it is the total price to your door. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks SSVert & Bob.

I know I need 3-channel.
I know I need the LCA relocation brackets.
I know I need to support the stock sway bar.
I'll probably want powder coating.
I'd like to keep the stock driveshaft.

Now I need to figure out the price & lead-time that works for me...
Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shane
Thanks SSVert & Bob.

I know I need 3-channel.

If you go with the Moser 9 inch:
With having the 3 channel I would go with the Wavetrac, as the Trac-loc is not offered with the 3 channel, and the Truetrac is not a good differential like it use to be.

LCA brackets are no extra charge.

Sway bar brackets are a $50.00 option.

Powder coating is $200.00 and requires allowing an extra day or two for the build time. This means that if you order it on a Monday it will ship out that Wednesday or Thursday.

Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

Old 10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks SSVert & Bob.

I know I need 3-channel.

Best thing to do is give us a call and we can go over everything. There's a lot of little details about a rearend purchase and we will shoot it to you straight.

for the record:

We offer 3ch abs with any diff unit on the market, even the clutch posi.

Our lca brackets are a 4 hole adjustable style and not an add-on. Included on all our rearends as a standard feature at no extra cost.

Our sway bar brackets are included as a standard feature at no extra cost, and do not have interference issues with a backbrace like a muffler clamp will.

Our powdercoating is only 125.00 and does the entire package- housing, torque arm, and crossmember.

You can use the stock driveshaft with a conversion u-joint, however we do not suggest that route. The stock shafts are weak at best and will be the weak link in the drivetrain with a good rearend. Sell off your good driveshaft before it breaks and put that money toward a good one like from Strange or PST, which we offer at a discount with a rearend purchase.

Our true "bolt-in" rearends for the f-body cars also include the drain plug and brake line clips, chassis brake hose adapter bracket, and for the 98-02 type brakes will include the brake hose mounts and e-brake cable bracket. Most of this stuff isn't even available from the other guys and we include it at no extra cost.

To top it all off... we include all new hardware with our rearends for everything that needs a bolt. Brakes, ARP center section studs, lca bolts, sway bar bolts, torque arm mount bolts, panhard bar bolt, driveshaft u-bolts(with a center section), and all of them include locking nuts as well. You won't be chasing parts at the hardware store and spend 30 or 40 bucks(plus your time and travel) doing so.

The MWC rearend package is simply the best, most complete deal you will find. We also off a completely assembled rearend package that is shipped to you ready you bolt in the car. Package it all up with our race proven suspension components and you will end up leaving the competition in the dust and a few bucks left in your pocket!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again for the replies and the information guys. I'll be sending PM's & making some calls soon.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks again for the replies and the information guys. I'll be sending PM's & making some calls soon.

Sounds good, just so you know, Mosers LCA brackets are not an add on to the standard brackets. Bob

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed

Sounds good, just so you know, Mosers LCA brackets are not an add on to the standard brackets. Bob
neither are MWC's
Old 10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Let me know how that works out for you...... especially with a 9" rear end. My stock drive shaft snapped into 2 pieces at 80mph on the stock rear end. It cracked my tranny tailhousing, bent my aftermarket torque arm, destoryed my y-pipe, and put a few nice holes in my floorboard.... WITH THE STOCK 10 BOLT.......... good luck with that!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
neither are MWC's
Of course they're not, I was replying regarding to what is highlighted below. Moser are also a no extra cost item. Bob

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Best thing to do is give us a call and we can go over everything. There's a lot of little details about a rearend purchase and we will shoot it to you straight.

for the record:

We offer 3ch abs with any diff unit on the market, even the clutch posi.

Our lca brackets are a 4 hole adjustable style and not an add-on. Included on all our rearends as a standard feature at no extra cost.

Our sway bar brackets are included as a standard feature at no extra cost, and do not have interference issues with a backbrace like a muffler clamp will.

Our powdercoating is only 125.00 and does the entire package- housing, torque arm, and crossmember.

You can use the stock driveshaft with a conversion u-joint, however we do not suggest that route. The stock shafts are weak at best and will be the weak link in the drivetrain with a good rearend. Sell off your good driveshaft before it breaks and put that money toward a good one like from Strange or PST, which we offer at a discount with a rearend purchase.

Our true "bolt-in" rearends for the f-body cars also include the drain plug and brake line clips, chassis brake hose adapter bracket, and for the 98-02 type brakes will include the brake hose mounts and e-brake cable bracket. Most of this stuff isn't even available from the other guys and we include it at no extra cost.

To top it all off... we include all new hardware with our rearends for everything that needs a bolt. Brakes, ARP center section studs, lca bolts, sway bar bolts, torque arm mount bolts, panhard bar bolt, driveshaft u-bolts(with a center section), and all of them include locking nuts as well. You won't be chasing parts at the hardware store and spend 30 or 40 bucks(plus your time and travel) doing so.

The MWC rearend package is simply the best, most complete deal you will find. We also off a completely assembled rearend package that is shipped to you ready you bolt in the car. Package it all up with our race proven suspension components and you will end up leaving the competition in the dust and a few bucks left in your pocket!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Of course they're not, I was replying regarding to what is highlighted below. Moser are also a no extra cost item. Bob
got it! my bad
Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Let me know how that works out for you...... especially with a 9" rear end. My stock drive shaft snapped into 2 pieces at 80mph on the stock rear end. It cracked my tranny tailhousing, bent my aftermarket torque arm, destoryed my y-pipe, and put a few nice holes in my floorboard.... WITH THE STOCK 10 BOLT.......... good luck with that!
Ouch. Well, that doesn't sound too pleasant...
*sigh*

Thanks for the feedback though - that's exactly the kind of information I need...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also look at ease of installation like you mentioned. Coming from a shop that has installed all brands on the market into customers vehicles they do not all instal the same. We have gone to great lengths to give customers the items they need to make things go as easy as possible. Whether that be hardware or changing our products fit and finish over the years for our customers benefit.

The brake line tabs, e-brake bracket, and sway bar mounts on our housings are nice features to have.

Stranges rear ends comes with a weld on addition relocation bracket to clear things up for those that didn't know that. They are also an additional charge when purchasing one. So if purchasing a Strange rear end or a even a Moser rear end please be sure to check all available options to get you what you want or even may need.