Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear busted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Is my rear busted?

last night i was taking co workers home. One lives at a apartment with alot of tall speed bumps. The car was sitting real low so i was sure to go really slow aproaching the bumps.

Howeve,r due to how low it was sitting the bottom of the car did hit the bump.

Immediately after, i noticed a kinda grinding/scratching noise from the back half of the car.

I also noticed that the exhaust is now leaking from somewhere near the front . I cant tell if i crushed a exhaust pipe somewhere or what.

The grinding/ scratching can only be heard when i take off slow and slowing down sometimes when at low speeds.

Im not sure what it could be. best case- rear brake dragging.

other cases- bearings, exhaust hitting and scrapping somewhere i cant yet see.

Absolute worst case- Rear end damaged, driveshaft bent, gears fucked.

Im gonna try and get it on the lift monday and do proper diagnostics and get a mechanic buddy to take a look.

The car still drives fine though, no difference other than i think the car might pull to the right a little but im not sure if it was like that before or not.

i have to drive it everyday so i hope its a small problem

Any ideas? free 12 bolts? donations?

....i should probably quit cracking jokes......
Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have bent the exhaust up and pushed it into something in the rears suspension, Your rear brake dragging will not be the culprit, no matter how far you bottom the car out, you wont be able to cause that problem. If by chance you managed to hit the driveshavt just perfect you could have some real problems, I highly doubt you hurt the rear end though. Get under it and have a good look, Fix the exhaust leak first, so your not chasing your tail.