Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gearing for 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gearing for 4l60e

I took my truck to the track last weekend and I'm pretty lost as to how to get this combo. It's currently completly stock... 5.3l ecsb and my highest trap speed was 89 mph. I put it in second gear and it will tag the rev limited in second right after the 1/4 or maybe as I'm going across the line but it already has 3.73 gears stock and I'm thinking I would have to lower the gearing a whole lot to make it worth it to allow it to shift to 3rd and pick up what it would loose from the time it takes to shift. I will probably do some simple more in the future but the gearing itself of the 4l60e just seems to high for the power level of the truck. Anyone have any ideas other than changing the trans gearing? I figure I will be able to get it into the 13's with some simple more but I'm stuck between lowering the gearing and using 3rd or going with higher gears and just using 1st and 2nd. As it is it wants to shift into 3rd at 75ish mph when it traps 88-89 if I just leave it in second. I'm not sure where to go with it. Maybe lower gears would get it off the line quicker but I question if it would make up the time it takes for it to shift to 3rd. It seems like it would just be a trade off and waste of money.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
Anyone have any ideas other than changing the trans gearing?
Remember your trans gearing and final gear ratio work together so what some people do is play with Tire Height. The taller it is effectivly lowers the rear end ratio and the shorter it is effectivly increases RPM like having a steeper gear.

Some people run for example 4.30's but put in a 28" tall bias ply slick and what the engine runs is closer to a 4.10 / 26" (stock fbody) combo but gain in side wall flex.

Its a cheap trick FWD guys use since most do not ever go into the transmission. BUT your will still probably have to make an investment in tires and rims so its really up to you.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it does. I used a gearing calculator for my car running the t56 and came up with a 28" tire 3.73 gear combo that should put me near the limiter in 4th at the trap speed I expect. I'm just hung up between going with a slighly higher gear in the truck and running through the traps in second or a way lower gear to make 3rd useful. I actually found a full set of 6 lug 15" time in my friends back yard while helping him clean up and he has no problem with me using them on the truck. I was thinking a quick fix without changing the gearing would be to throw some tall drag radials or slicks on a set of those so I can trap higher without shifting to 3rd. Lowering the overall ratio would probably get me a better 60' though and make 3rd useful. My best 60' with stock everything and heavy *** 20" rims was 2.3 something. Traction isn't a problem right now as its stock. On a prepped track it won't spin or at least not more than a chirp. It just kind of throws me off knowing I'm only using 1st and 2nd trapping 89 mph with 3.73's. I can see a 125 shot, 3600-4k stall, and a bunch of free/ cheap nods in the future though so I'm thinking 3rd will be needed. I would like to get the truck in the 13's as cheap as possible. 4580 pound truck stock without me in it.

Quick Reply: gearing for 4l60e