Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who has done 3 channel ABS on a 9"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has done 3 channel ABS on a 9"

Moser says I can't run my 3 channel on a 9" but my local shop says it can be done, but is a little pricey. Has anyone here done it? My local shop recomended I just get rid of the ABS all together. Any opinions on that?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same situation as you. Would love a 9" but apparently no one has one w/abs since I've searched and searched but with no answers. Everyone says that it would be a pain in the *** to try and install traction control on my car. Not to mention too much money which is what i had intended to do to convert my car to 4 channel. Oh well guess I'll just settle for the 12bolt.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Launching!

A big reason it hasn't been done:

The 9" carrier is very small in terms of where the sensor can be placed to read the reluctor...this means that no spot the proper distance from the reluctor can be found. Some people have drilled holes & mounted the sensor...etc- but the distance was off- giving incorrect readings or none at all...

Better to have no ABS- than faulty ABS...
Old 03-14-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info z28hokie. How bad/unsafe is it to just get rid of the ABS?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Launching!

That's a personal call. ABS is a safety feature and does a good job of keeping your wheels from locking (which causes you to slide/loose steering control/extend stopping distances) during emergency stops...

For years people were used to "pumping their brakes", ABS simply does this for you- better than you could. (brakes on/off/on/off/on/off REALLY fast to prevent lockup)

Most people are fine without it, but I cannot sit here and say "it's safe to remove". Because in some situations- it will help you a lot (and actually in some it can hurt too, but those are few & far between).

Well...here's a good way to see how it feels without it:

Go for a drive to somewhere you can mess around safely (no other cars, obstacles, etc). Industrial parks with big open lots work well.

Do some emergency stops and stopping while turning, etc, so that ABS activates. See how it works, etc...

Now- pop the hood & unplug your ABS module. You'll set some codes & trigger the SES & ABS Inop light too...

Do some more emergency stops & stopping while turning...etc.
Now you'll see what ABS did, and if you're ok without it.

When you're done, plug it back in and go home...

I'd suggest trying this in dry weather & in the rain to see how it feels.

Then the call is up to you.

Chances are with good tires & decent brake pads, you don't need it if you are responsible in terms of following distances/weather/etc... But that's your call.

Also- if you choose to remove it. Braided Steel brake lines give you much better pedal/brake response...so would be a good/cheap investment.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

My friend has done a ABS setup on his fabricated 9" rear for his 97 Z. They are a 3 channel setup. Maybe you could email him or PM him. His screen name is Elysian. He machined a whole new reluctor wheel with a mill and pressed it on somehow to the driveshaft U-Joint area. He then made a mount to mount the sensor up. It works flawlessly. It did take some time to make though. I would PM him as I cannot recall exact setup even though I have seen it several times...LOL.