Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt axle seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12 bolt axle seals

Mine are leaking, and I've gotten a quote of $125. This sounds like its a really far deal. Being that I'm broke, I'm pretty sure I can perform this operation myself. What are the part #'s for the axle seals just so I can see what I'm looking at here.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-13-2004, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

do you have gear whine?

you might want to check the bering cups, if the axle's move around there, then you need to get the wider bering conversion.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

I have some gear whine, but its nothing ridicolous. Will there be any signs of the bearing cups being to small? Like marks of the axle moving around or what not.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 03-13-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call strange, there have been a couple different bearing/seal setups they have used. Some you have to press the bearings off so it can get a little involved..

They have real people answering the phone at strange and they will help you out.

Good meeting you the other day, I guess you made it home ok
Old 03-14-2004, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

KP! Heh, nice meeting you too buddy. Unfortunately the circumstances weren't all that great. My fault on that one man all the way, I should have calculated in for race traffic, etc. When I called you that first time, I was walking out of the kroger thats only 20 miles from my house tops. I left at 1:20pm, and managed to make it to the kroger in like 30 minutes.. The car made it back just fine.. we just had to tighten up the ol' power steering belt. We just put the car back together with new heads/headers, and some of the accessories were ghetto rigged. That and the tranny wants to get stuck in 4th *grumble* On the way back it developed a rattle in 2nd, I think the gear is probably rounded off.

I'll give strange a call monday, and ask them whats up. Is it possible that the bearings will get rid of alot of my noise? Thus far it only whines in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-14-2004, 09:22 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise is most likely the ring and pinion, bearing noise tends to be more of a rumble you can feel at lower speeds. Make sure and drive around with the trunk divider thing in, that will help keep the noise down. The noise will also get louder or quieter going around turns if it was a bearing. You may have to destroy the bearings taking them off (the seals may be part of the bearing) to fix the leak anyhow..