Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal

Well lately my car has a whine coming from the rear diff. I have 4.10's and before last week it hardly made any noise at all. Funny thing is i thought it would get worse when i get on the highway at higher speeds and let off the gas but barely any whine at all, it only whines at lower speeds or coming to a stop. I remember before on my other camaro's when the rear end was going it would whine louder on the highway but in this case its the exact opposite and doesnt whine at all at higher speeds. Does anyone know what could cause it, is it the ring/pinion or is it bearing or both. Im going to have one of our mechanics ride along to hear it and probably open it up and see whats going on.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First step is to make sure the gear oil qty isn't low.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is seaping, i have to wait till saturday for an available mechanic in the mean time im parking it so it doesnt get worse. He said its for sure not axle bearing and could be ring and pinion/carrier bearing. The bearings they get at work are cheapy ones and looked up timken bearings which are pretty good ones i was told, not sure but hopefully its maybe low oil.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the rear is getting worked on now, so i should get the bad news or the really bad news, lol soon.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well found out that the ring has broken teeth and some of the bearings need to be replaced as well, damn.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

4.10's are notorious for whining anyway especially if they're richmond gears, sucks to hear you have broken teeth though
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well come to find out the teeth were never broken and we couldnt put 2 and 2 together because we found no metal shaving or pieces in the diff. Today when they go to put my new bearing, ring and pinion we find out that the blocker gets stuck on the ring gear about 3-4 teeth and only way to get the blocker to go in is shave with a grinder those specific teeth to get the blocker to go in or hit it hard with a hammer and hope it slides in. Well the first place who installed it decided to grind down 3-4 teeth to get the blocker to go in and explains why the teeth looked like they were grinded down and not snapped or broken off and no pieces in the diff, not to mention the blocker specifically hits 3-4 teeth explaines why they grinded 3-4 of them, lol. Damn couldve saved myself 150 bucks for the ring and pinion and just needed bearings.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

How loud of a whine are you talking about? At some point your gonna get gear whine especially with 4.10s.
Sometimes mine whines louder then other day's, somedays it seems to whine louder at 50mph than at 70mph or vise-versa. Normal...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the whine is not bad right now at all, he used synthetic 75-80 or 90 not sure but i was told by Hoopers Rear Ends here were i live that Petroleom 85-140 is best because it stick to the bearings and gears better. So i might have him pull the oil out and put the thicker stuff. The whine before when i thought i broke the rear was bad i mean it was louder then my stereo at low speeds and was bugging me bad, no grinding just whine that all of the sudden started happening. After doing the swap today we realize in the end it was just bearings and the teeth were just shaved off to get the blocker to fit, lol.