Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you guys think

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks. I've been thinking about tackling a 8.8 build since I like the ability to find a stock housing with 31 splines, LSD, and 4.11 gears. Then I started thinking, if I'm going to go through that work, why not go independent? So I figured out the explorer's independent rear is still an 8.8 center section, and you can still get them in 4.11/3.73/3.55 etc.

Now knowing this is going to involve a huge amount of fab work, I'm thinking about using some Corvette outer hubs to keep the bolt pattern and brakes GM. Aside from the little bit of fab work, and custom axles I'd like to think it should be pretty straight forward.

Any opinions?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a better swap and its been done b4, mainly I've seen it on third gens. I'd use a corvette independent rear.. check this out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-4th-gen.html
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I understand the idea behind what Zues did with that car...I think it's great. I really don't like the trailing arm design of the C4. Neither did GM by looking at the C5/C6 rear ends. I'm thinking an explorer 8.8 center section with C5/C6 outer knuckles and a custom mount and a-arms. Personally I'd like to keep it as bolt in as possible for ease of install and fabrication, but it may not happen. I'm just looking to do something a little different than the norm.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Splicing in the Corvette hubs seems like a lot of work. Have you looked at using the Explorer hubs & brakes? The solid Explorer 8.8 I had was 59" axle-to-axle which is quite narrow for an F-body. If the IRS unit is about the same width you'd have to go with deep-dish wheels or wide wheels / tires & minitubs. Interesting idea though.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Well, that's why I'm looking to fabricate things like the diff mount and the control arms. That way the c5/6 hubs won't be that hard to integrate. At that point the hardest thing will be getting a custom set of axles for it. This is all just an idea right now. I'd prefer to keep the 5x4.75 bolt pattern so I can use my current wheels. That's te biggest reason for not using the ford parts