Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Weird parts in Moser 12 bolt box

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird parts in Moser 12 bolt box

I am installing my moser 12 bolt. there are a few parts that I can't make sense of where they go. There are a few 'U' shaped bolts and nuts, as well as these two gold colored rings. They have a rubber gasket in the middle with a spring around the inside of the center. The cross section is below, where the S represents the spring and gasket:

|__S| |S__|

I haven't heard them mentioned in any install guide. what gives???
Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "U" shaped bolts and nuts are most likely for your u-joint. The rings are your axle seals, you need to put them in the end of the axle tube. They press in, you can tap them in with a large socket, just make sure they go in flush. The "open" part goes toward the inside (the flush part outside).

Good luck, Shawn
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
The "U" shaped bolts and nuts are most likely for your u-joint. The rings are your axle seals, you need to put them in the end of the axle tube. They press in, you can tap them in with a large socket, just make sure they go in flush. The "open" part goes toward the inside (the flush part outside).

Good luck, Shawn
Thanks, looks like I need to call Moser... Worst install manual EVER.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Turns out that yes, the U bolts are for the U-joint. The seals don't fit in there... You can't get the bearing all the way into the axle housing. You have to remove it to get it flush... so I didn't put it in.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28dan
Turns out that yes, the U bolts are for the U-joint. The seals don't fit in there... You can't get the bearing all the way into the axle housing. You have to remove it to get it flush... so I didn't put it in.
If you didnt put the axle seals in it is going to be leaking fluid from the axle tubes pretty bad.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BTL FED
If you didnt put the axle seals in it is going to be leaking fluid from the axle tubes pretty bad.
Yeah I called Moser about it and they said I need it in there. I'll replace them tonight.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

FYI, I got the axles remounted with the bushings in there... I had to go and get some device to press it in there (I hammered it in with a oversized electrical conduit connector). works good.