Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Busted rear or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Busted rear or no?

I did some heavy accelation on crappy/old/cracked/destroyed pavement, under nitrous...

Right after it, there is a loud tok/tok noise when decelarating coming from under the shifter (vibration). The car can accelerate fine(I can feel some vibrations still) and cruise around 1800rpm without too much problem, but that sound comes back hard, like if it was coming from the driving shaft to the tranny.

Anyway, sounds like a busted rear end to me.

Last time I had a similar vibration/sound, it was the clutch..but now the car aint fine under normal acceleration. Cant believe my Monster stage 3 clutch is done after only street driving..

I checked under the car, nothing seems loose..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you couldve broke a trans mount or ujoint.

if your rear is broke itll let you. trust me. itll be noisy.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torque arm?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds more like you broke the transmission mount or the troque arm mount. If it's the transmission mount I would think the tranny would be hitting the floorboard when you kick it though. Thats what mine did when I broke it. If its the rearend you'll know. If you broke the gears they would start clunking and wining VERY loud at speed. If you broke the diff it would kick around some while turning, almost acting like its got a spool in it.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I thought it sounded like a trans mount cause it sounded like something was hitting the floor or the frame around the trans, almost like a banging exhaust..It's really weird. I'll try to jack the car high enough to have a good look under.

**Under load, the sound is almost non existent BTW**

Last edited by Johnnystock; 08-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
It sounds more like you broke the transmission mount or the troque arm mount. If it's the transmission mount I would think the tranny would be hitting the floorboard when you kick it though. Thats what mine did when I broke it. If its the rearend you'll know. If you broke the gears they would start clunking and wining VERY loud at speed. If you broke the diff it would kick around some while turning, almost acting like its got a spool in it.
I took a good look and nothing is cracked/broken under the car; trans support, torq arm support, U-Joints, torq arm bolts, etc..

The thing I noticed is this Y pipe support broken!? Could it be the Y pipe beeing loose banging and rubbing around??

**THE SOUND IS WAY WORST WHEN GOING SLOWER THAN 10-15MPH. COULD IT BE U JOINTS GONE BAD!??**

How to tell U joint is bad visually?

Last edited by Johnnystock; 08-04-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I took a good look and nothing is cracked/broken under the car; trans support, torq arm support, U-Joints, torq arm bolts, etc..

The thing I noticed is this Y pipe support broken!? Could it be the Y pipe beeing loose banging and rubbing around??

**THE SOUND IS WAY WORST WHEN GOING SLOWER THAN 10-15MPH. COULD IT BE U JOINTS GONE BAD!??**

How to tell U joint is bad visually?
look to see if your caps are missing or coming off.