Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How far can I push it before it will break?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How far can I push it before it will break?

I still have my stock rear end. I have a set of drag rims and ET streets at home sitting in the garage. Can I use the ET streets and just launch a lower RPM to avoid breaking the rear? I really can't afford the upgraded rear yet and I don't want to screw myself and push the rear too far. I'm making good power, but I'm having terrible wheel spin off the line and when I hit 2nd. I just want some opinions because I'm thinking about running the ET streets next Friday for test N tune at Capital. If you guys think I'm asking too much outta my car then I'll just stick with the street tires until I can get the new rear. Sorry for rambling on...

My best 60ft at the track on street tires is 1.99.
I have a m6, all the bolt ons, cammed(226/226 575.575 112+4), and spray. I haven't sprayed at the track yet...only on the street when I needed it for a few races.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ET Streets plus lots of power (which you have) equals BOOM... I wouldn't do it. I've been launching at low RPMs with Nittos and 4.10s and my rear end is still about ready to take a dump.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't press your luck

I have about 120 runs on my 02 Z and am on the third rear end. I have it at a shop right now getting a hybrid 8.8" Ford w/4.10's installed. I figure the stock 10 bolt is worth about 30-40 runs before it self destructs. I launch at anywhere from 2000 to 3200 depending on track conditions with Nitto Drag Radials. Two weeks ago at Kennedale it ate it big time. CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK as I turned left coming off the track. That made my mind up to go for the 8.8". Cheaper than a Moser and a bigger selection of ratios if you decide to change gears. 10 Bolts inhale bigtime!!!