Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.42 or 3.73???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.42 or 3.73???

Got an 06 1500 ccsb. Came stock with a 4.8 & 3.23 rear gears. Just put a 5.3 with a Z06 cam and it has no low end torque. Should i jump to 3.42 or 3.73??
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Teching In

3.73 you will notice a little difference. 342's wouldnt even be worth the hassle and $$. If it were me id swap that z06 cam cuz its for a much lighter vehicle and get a cam that is made more for a truck. You need low end torque to get that brick to move out.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T/AWs6spd
3.73 you will notice a little difference. 342's wouldnt even be worth the hassle and $$. If it were me id swap that z06 cam cuz its for a much lighter vehicle and get a cam that is made more for a truck. You need low end torque to get that brick to move out.
agreed. you would be way better off with a closer split like a 212/216 cam then you would be with that Z06 cam. i would also go 3.73
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheap swap for a little extra stall would be a Trailblazer V6 converter. guys have been throwing them in their full size trucks forever. gives a little more stall helps launch and shift extension. Unless you don't care about retaining towing capability, then you can go with a 3000-3400 stall. That would save you pulling the cam and make the build sync up better..

Did you start this plan on your own? Did you seek the Z cam out or was it available and you thought it was worth a shot? Trying to help you but alot of variables are left out in your post? What are you going to use the truck for? What is your goal?

For example, mine was to have a streetable, idles, drives like stock, take a trip with family 1000 miles with AC on getting 25mpg @75mph, 11.99 on street tire G8. Only thing i fell short on was the MPG as i'm only seeing 23mpg.

I actually surpassed my et/speed goals and i'm still on stock gear (2.92)and converter.. I achieved those goals because i spoke to a couple guys that I know. I had my own ideas, but they KNOW how to make power and the results speak for themselves. Internet's great place for advice but i wouldn't take any from guys you have no way of checking on what they're telling you to do.. As for me? I am at Tune Time Performance every Saturday from open till close hanging out with my friends. You need to find a place near you where they make power and show results then get some advice from them.

Good luck with your truck. you'll get it sorted out, just set up your goal before you make the next move.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I bought this truck for a dd. Now I'm gonna be working off and i will be needing to pull a travel trailer as well as wanting more overall Power. When i had problems d with my 48 i jerked it out and put the 53 in with the Z06 cam. I gained a LOT of mid and top end. Now have no bottom end at all. I probably made a mistake with the cam but I'm not swapping it now. I figured since i gained so much top end power if i gear and possibly stall it right then i can gain significant overall power. I still want it dd capable but with more oomph. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can change the gears if you like but the Z06 cam in a truck is definitely not going to be ideal for pulling. I would go over to performancetrucks.net (above tab) and do some research. I pull a pretty good size boat with mine so I have been looking into gear swaps and cams and such as well...so far I have found the guys with the Z06 cam lost all bottom end (towing) and swapped for a cam geared more for lower rpm. A gear swap would be a good idea as well but at least go to a 3.73 if not a 4.10. I am probably going with 4.56 because of my tire size which will equal about a 4.10 with stock tire size. Good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw look here...
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ca...s%20truck.html

that is the size cams you want to go with

Quick Reply: 3.42 or 3.73???