Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

DIY Gear swapping on Moser 9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DIY Gear swapping on Moser 9 inch

I searched the forums for this expecting to find alot of different articles on DIY gear swaps in a 9 inch, and to my surprise, I found NOTHING!

Is there a thread or anything I am missing? This can't be an impossible thing to do by yourself, surely.

I have a Moser 9 inch with 3.50 gear in it, and I want to put 4.30's in it until I finish my turbo build, where I will go back to the 3.50's. So instead of paying some shop twice, and not learning a damn thing, I figured I would do it myself.

I found this 4 part video on youtube, and it has been pretty informative. Does anyone have any information for me, or any sponsors have some information, or is this going to be one of those Super super top secret topics that noone likes to tell other people about, the same as DIY tuning seems to be. lol

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll let you in on a little secret but please keep it to yourself.
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-h...-a-ford-9-inch
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

I could not get your link to work, my comp must be screwy.

When I did mine I used the Ford service book from I think a mid '70s LTD for some of the info (pretty much any car w/ a 9" will work), and the rest if you go to Strange's website, they have a few PDf's on 9" gear setup. Kinda have to use info from a few sources. Then it's just getting a good pattern. Make sure all surfaces are burr-free or you will not have fun. Also, solid pinion spacer... When it came to getting the perfect pattern in spec, I e-mailed one of the rear end sponsers w/ some pics and asked for opinions on pinion depth changes, they were a great help. Now 4 years and 6k miles later w/ getting beat on almost every time I drive, works like a champ.

-mark jr.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys! I look forward to diving in to this and hopefully getting some good pictures and posting up some tips and tricks of my own!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are plenty of videos on youtube, search for "toms diffs", he builds one in a few different segments and gives a few very good pieces of advice. I built mine last fall using his videos exclusively. One thing I found out, harbor frieght has a 25 ton press that can be bought for less than most shops will charge to press all the bearings and retainer rings in.

Quick Reply: DIY Gear swapping on Moser 9 inch