Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how it works: rear ends

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how it works: rear ends

hey guys im looking to put either a 12 bolt of 9 inch in the back of my 2000 z28 can some explain to me how the tru trac works as far as a posi unit i've read so much i think i just confused myself.... when i hear limited slip all i can see is a one wheel peel in my head?? any explanation would be great
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fraser2000
hey guys im looking to put either a 12 bolt of 9 inch in the back of my 2000 z28 can some explain to me how the tru trac works as far as a posi unit i've read so much i think i just confused myself.... when i hear limited slip all i can see is a one wheel peel in my head?? any explanation would be great
Check out this video, it should help...

Carl
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

so how does the trutrac work/perform to something like a the Detroit locker or any other posi unit??
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fraser2000
so how does the trutrac work/perform to something like a the Detroit locker or any other posi unit??
That is a good question that warrants an incredibly long answer. Here are just some of the basics (long story short).

Posi types vary from the Truetrac described in the post above, to clutch and cone types for the common versions. Out of those 3 the Truetrac is typically strongest and most expensive.

Now to describe the confusing part...the model of differential ie Detroit Locker or say the S-trac. Has different characterestics from the 9" to the Dana 60. For example the Detroit Locker for the 9" is loud, makes clunks and noises making some think its broke. The Detroit Locker for the Dana 60 is quiet and predictable yet still incredibly stout.

The S-Trac (similar to the Truetrac) for the 9" is incredibly strong (think 1000 HP) and costly compared to the S-Trac for the Dana 60 (about 600-650 HP) moderately priced, (lots of variables determine the HP abilities such as tire size, car weight and on).

There is not a one size fits all when it comes to rearend selection, differential selection etc.

Best thing for learning is reading literature provided by major differential mfg's such as Eaton, Strange Engineering, Moser Engineering or Yukon.

Best thing for ideal selection is sharing Your projected HP (think ahead!), intended use such as street, drag strip or corner carving. Then of course budget.

Hope this helps,
Carl
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

projected hp is around 520 to the rear wheels and its a street car with an occasional trip to the track.

Quick Reply: how it works: rear ends